EBMM Stingray bass green
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many of you are playing modelers?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    I'm kind of curious about: How easy is it to get an AxeFX, fire it up, download or recall like, an EVH Brown Sound rig with all of EVH's chorus, flanger, whatever and just say "Well, that was easy!" and start rocking?
    I know you asked this about the AxeFX, but for others' reference as well, on the Kemper I've done SO little tweaking. I use mostly profiles produced by Michael Britt (guitarist from country band Lone Star). I usually don't go past adjusting the gain and the EQ that's on dedicated front-mount knobs. I spend very little time in menus on the device, since playing is what I want to be doing. Mike's profiles are available for a wide range of amps (absolutely not limited to typical country fare - whenever he gets the chance to get his hands on a rare specimen, it gets profiled) and he does a great job of capturing the sound of them.

I find his profiles, generally, to be much more satisfying to play than those in the stock set. They respond to digging in the way an amp should, and have great tone.
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    I'm kind of curious about: How easy is it to get an AxeFX, fire it up, download or recall like, an EVH Brown Sound rig with all of EVH's chorus, flanger, whatever and just say "Well, that was easy!" and start rocking?

Well, the Axe has a patch called eruption, which will do everything from add phaser and detuning (IIRC), to acting like a backwards capo and actually drop the tuning of the guitar by a half step. Also, the Axe contains an amp model called “Brown” designed after EVH’s historic sound.

Line6 have a video on getting the helix to sound like classic EVH, and it certainly gets the spirit of it, and closer than I can get with any amp. I used that L6 video to dial in the guitar tone I used to play the VH version of Pretty Woman at my wedding, and I was quite pleased with the tone.

Edit: Here’s the L6 video.
    Line 6 Helix: Van Halen Tone Tutorial - YouTube
    Last edited by jmmp; 01-04-2019 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added video link
    JP6 Pearl White born 1/11/11
    Majesty Monarchy Imperial Blue born 1/23/18
    Cutlass SSS Ivory White born 6/13/16
    Sub1 born 5/26/04
    Cutlass HSS BFR Smoked Chrome #21/54 born 12/6/18
    Mesa Boogies

User Info Menu

I've played most of the modellers since they first came out.
    Currently been using the Headrush for over a year and couldn't be happier!
    This thing sounds great and is sssssssssso easy to dial : I spend my time PLAYING my guitar, not tweaking.
    As unpopular as it may be, ditching my ****ty Fractal AX8 for the Headrush was one of my best moves!
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise

User Info Menu

I switched to an ElevenRack setup 7-8 years ago and is quite happy with it. I might try out a Line6 Helix LT at some point.

I love the versatility (I only play covers) and the ease of use. The appeal of the Helix for me is to be able to transport all my gear in two hands; EBMM Petrucci in one hand, floorboard in the other. Quick setup, no tweaking needed on my end for sound, sounds just like it did at home.

Yes, I do miss the feel of a big cabinet pushing air, but other than that, I love using the ElevenRack - and so does the sound technicians.

Mind you, the ElevenRack does take some effort to sound really good. I hear its easier with the Line6.

User Info Menu

I struggled with the AX8 for a while because you can (unlike Kemper and Line 6) get so deep in the sound parameter settings that you almost need an engineering degree to understand everything. So I tried to become and engineer and it wasnít fun and didnít sound great, even though I learned a tone about things I never knew. HOWEVER, once I discovered Austin Buddy, Moke, and a handful of others that do the work of making everything sound authentic (even EVH tone) for not very much coin, I tried ABís tone pack. Awesome. Very, very little tweaking. Drop it in, pick your favorites, and plug it into whatever you want. Sounds great. Just my experience.

The Kemper sounds great, but you pay a lot more for an amp and the tone is more or less staticóbecause it is a snapshot of an actual tone you canít really change it. And the feedback I got is that it is not that easy to get that snapshot right. So, went with AX. Havenít played with Line 6, but what others have said is the intuitive interface is the best of the group, but the effects of the AX are noticeably better and the AX can be adjusted in literally every possible way.
    Last edited by Wahoonc; 01-05-2019 at 07:47 AM.
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170
    Headrush FRFR-112

User Info Menu

How are you all monitoring your AX/Helix/Kemper for live use?

For my Helix, I purchased a Alto TS210 - didn't want to drop a bunch of $$$ because I didn't know if I'd like the Helix. I have only used my Helix live 4 or 5 times. When I could, I kept my Alto in front of it at a low volume and used IEM's. Several shows we were not allowed any stage amplification, so it was straight to IEM.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeller View Post

For my Helix, I purchased a Alto TS210 - didn't want to drop a bunch of $$$ because I didn't know if I'd like the Helix. I have only used my Helix live 4 or 5 times. When I could, I kept my Alto in front of it at a low volume and used IEM's. Several shows we were not allowed any stage amplification, so it was straight to IEM.
    With the Line 6 HX Floor I am currently about 50/50 with A) back through the mixer as part of the regular band mix monitoring through a single mono QSC K12 and B) a pair of QSC K8.2 in stereo, facing me, on either side of my keyboard stand. The latter is my favorite by far and the stereo monitoring is fabulous. But not all places have the space or not often do I have the desire depending on the day, the job, the weather, my mood, etc for taking the extra gear.
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Red w/ Maple Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    This thing sounds great and is sssssssssso easy to dial : I spend my time PLAYING my guitar, not tweaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbc83 View Post
    Yes, I do miss the feel of a big cabinet pushing air, but other than that, I love using the ElevenRack - and so does the sound technicians.

Mind you, the ElevenRack does take some effort to sound really good. I hear its easier with the Line6.
    I think the struggles I keep coming back to are 1. My live monitoring situation is far less than ideal. We have moved (for the time) from IEMs to wedges...so sharing a mix.
    2. The live cab. 3. As a dad of three under 5, I want to pick up my guitar and (silently or quietly) practice and have my tone instantly sound good...I want to play, not tweak.
    Thanks for all the engagement. I believe I will be staying with my Eleven Rack...and I'll put all that rig money towards another EBMM!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wesman11483 View Post
    I believe I will be staying with my Eleven Rack...and I'll put all that rig money towards another EBMM!
    How refreshing to hear someone say they're going to stick with their Eleven Rack in 2019!
    I decided to stick with mine as well and was able to justify buying my first Ernie Ball Music Man guitar!
    EBMM Luke III HH - Bodhi Blue
    Guild Starfire V - Snow Crest White
    Fender Special Edition Jazzmaster HH - White Opal
    Fernandes Monterey Elite Sustainer - Maroon
    Rickenbacker 360-12 - Mapleglo w/Black Hardware

Gretsch G5422DC-12 - Black

User Info Menu

I used the eleven rack for a while and loved it!
    I now own the headrush, which is"refined" and in pedal format.
    Although some might disagree because the unit is "old", the 11 rack sounds great and is now dirt cheap.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise

User Info Menu

My amps model a PRRI and VIBROLUX perfectly. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brian
    Jacksonville, Florida
    --

2004 Blue Pearl - Albert Lee SSS/hardtail
    2011 Metallic Blue - Albert Lee HH/trem
    2011 El Dorado Gold - Albert Lee HH/trem
    2014 Trans Walnut - Albert Lee HH/hardtail
    2018 Toluca Lake Blue - James Valentine/trem
    (and various Strats, Teles, etc.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoonc View Post
    HOWEVER, once I discovered Austin Buddy, Moke, and a handful of others that do the work of making everything sound authentic (even EVH tone) for not very much coin, I tried AB’s tone pack. Awesome. Very, very little tweaking. Drop it in, pick your favorites, and plug it into whatever you want. Sounds great. Just my experience.
    I just bought AB's Dream Rigs package for my AX8 and couldn't be happier. And I agree that very little tweaking is needed--sounded great out of the (virtual) box. The vintage Fender sounds are great but I'm really digging the Dumble and Suhr amps.
    Silhouette (2007), Sunburst
    Axis Super Sport Semi-hollow (2014), Cherry
    Axis Super Sport MM90 (2009), Sunburst
    AL HH, Black

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bbjonz View Post
    The vintage Fender sounds are great but I'm really digging the Dumble and Suhr amps.
    The Dumble, Suhr, Friedman, and EVH amps from that pack are incredible. The Fender 6G4 Super (Brownface) is also now one of my favorites.
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170
    Headrush FRFR-112

User Info Menu

I've got an AXE FX2 and a Helix LT. Definitely a game changer for live shows - so easy to make presets and light and easy to set up (imo there's nothing worse than trouble shooting issues whilst setting up on stage - whether a cable is unplugged, etc). Also, with these units there is zero noise - a huge part of the equation esp if you play with a heap of gain.

These days my live rig is the Helix which goes into a Matrix Power Amp and a Matrix NL12 - the Matrix stuff is my stage 'monitor' so I can get the FEEL on stage; and then I send a Direct signal to FOH which makes things much easier, consistent and faster when dealing with sound guys.

When comparing amps to modeled amps on the Axe/Helix - there is a small difference in FEEL; but listening back, I cannot tell the difference.

I'd 100% recommend trying out the modeling route - even if you only want to use 1 amp (like I do on the Helix). Just remember, you don't have to use the advanced parameters, just follow your ears
    Balls:

2017 JP6 - Starry Night
    2012 JP6 BFR - Black Quilt
    25th Anniversary - Venetian Red
    2014 Albert Lee HH - White
    2001 Silhouette Special - Las Vegas Gold

User Info Menu

I use them at smaller gigs where having a full-fledged amp is a bit much. I have a helix but rarely ever use it outside the studio I use a few different Cab/Amp ťmulation pedals with single pedals that are amazing and don’t break the bank. Digitech Cab DryVR is Cab Sim that can be used for Bass or Guitar and is great. NUX makes a Solid Studio which is more in-depth and has both the amp and Cab sections. You can choose mics, mic placements, tubes, amp types and whatever cabs. The plus is also you can capture a tone print/IR of whatever amp love and have access to. The one I used the most is the Mooer Radar! It’s all digital and can be easily edited and programmed via usb and your computer. Another great thing is you can use IR loaders. There’s pedals all have great reviews on YouTube. My fave on the Radar is the BassMan 4x10 Aloha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EBMM artist.
    Albert Lee HH (in production)
    AXIS SPORT
    SBMM AX30
    SBMM JP100
    SBMM SILO30
    SUB RAY4
    SUB RAY5
    EB-WAH
    EB-JRVP