Music Man Modern Classics
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How many of you are playing modelers?

User Info Menu

AxeFx II into two Atomic CLR active wedges. Absolutely incredible sounding. Could never go back to a real amp. I have dialed in dozens of various amps on my AxeFx and they all sound so damn good. The CLR's are great for live use if you want to push some volume on stage. I run one output into the CLR's and another straight to the mixing board.

User Info Menu

Live I usually plug straight to the PA system and get wedges monitors on the ground.
    I focus on listening the band rather than the smallest details of my sound, to give my best performance tho I wear ear protection (that kills part of the sound too).
    But I have a new wireless system and I'm yet to buy in-ears with at least 2 drivers, and maybe things will change.

At the end of the day, my front of house sound is way more important than the sound or the moving air I can get Audience first !
    JP12 Cherry Sugar (Piezo, Inlays, Headstock) Born 05/14/12
    JP7 Pearl Redburst (Piezo, inlays, headstock) Born 02/13/04
    Sold : JP6 Blue dawn & JP6 Mystic dream
    Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
    Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
    https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

User Info Menu

You guys are really intriguing me and I can certainly see the points of ease of setup being a great thing. My next question is: how good are the effects? I'm an analog guy (except reverb), so I'm skeptical on how warm the effects sounds. I had an Eventide H9 and Strymon Mobius, but didn't keep either because they just didn't have the warmth of my analog pedals. It was just night and day. How does the Axe-FXIII stand up in this realm?

For instance, on my Boss DM-3 analog delay, I can make those spaceship sounds at any given time by turning knobs. Can a modeler recreate that? That's just an example. Thanks.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    You guys are really intriguing me and I can certainly see the points of ease of setup being a great thing. My next question is: how good are the effects? I'm an analog guy (except reverb), so I'm skeptical on how warm the effects sounds. I had an Eventide H9 and Strymon Mobius, but didn't keep either because they just didn't have the warmth of my analog pedals. It was just night and day. How does the Axe-FXIII stand up in this realm?
    I don't have any AXE-FX experience, but the 11R ones aren't bad. I used to have an H9 as well and also felt that it lacked warmth...it sounded okay to my ears, but always sounded a little more sterile than I like in a delay. I had a Strymon El Cap that I liked...but foolishly let her go (goes on the list of pedal regrets alongside my JHS Pink Panther v1)

Currently I have a TC Electronics D-Two delay unit in the FX Loop of my 11R, but am starting to play with some of the delay sounds in the box. To me, it seems to depend on the amp sim you are using and what sound you are looking for.

And you hit the nail on the head with "ease of setup" see attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many of you are playing modelers?-47299215_10161278856605596_1264117263007481856_n-jpg  
    Last edited by wesman11483; 01-11-2019 at 09:49 AM.

User Info Menu

The effects on my Helix floor model are pretty much everything I could ask for. Very happy with it. I've had it since they first came out.

2018 Axis Super Sport BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2016 Cutlass - Vintage Turquoise
    2016 Albert Lee HH - Trans Walnut
    2016 Axis Super Sport - Trans Gold Quilt
    2016 Chapman ML-3 Signature - Cherry

Line 6 Helix
    Line 6 L2t FRFR

User Info Menu

You guys are really intriguing me and I can certainly see the points of ease of setup being a great thing. My next question is: how good are the effects? I'm an analog guy (except reverb), so I'm skeptical on how warm the effects sounds.
    Don't fall for the false dilemma - you can use modeler/profiler and your pedal board. If you like the effects on your board, run them in the front of the modeler. Can't speak for the AxeFX (assume it's the same) but the Kemper has an effects loop - stereo, if you want it - so you don't lose that option either. Pick the right amp, EQ, gain and cab for every song, and use your pedals as usual.
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo

User Info Menu

Fractal AX8 direct to PA with my Cutlass and Luke. I'm done with hauling around heavy tube amps and pedalboards. The slight improvement analog may have over digital these days isn't worth a trip to the chiropractor.

User Info Menu

For instance, on my Boss DM-3 analog delay, I can make those spaceship sounds at any given time by turning knobs. Can a modeler recreate that? That's just an example. Thanks.
    Short answer is YES I think.....and you can control the oscillation by assigning a controlling parameter to the expression pedal.... see this video, is that what you are referring to? I have seen more out of control oscillations besides this

EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    Can't speak for the AxeFX (assume it's the same)
    Yes, Axe has a loop and stereo effects also.
    I believe every guitar player inherently has something unique about their playing. They just have to identify what makes them different and develop it. EVH

'14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12

User Info Menu

Of all the modelers I think the AxeFx stuff is by far the best in the realm of effects. I did side by side comparisons of my pedals and the imitations on the AxeFx and it was nearly impossible to tell the difference. Just had to dial them in correctly. Ended up selling my entire pedal board.

User Info Menu

I was using a Mesa Dual Rectifier for years and loved it. But volume became an issue at certain venues. So I bought the Fractal AX-8 and went to in ears. Great unit but I found myself spending hours tweaking for minimal gains.

So I sold it and bought the Atomic AA3. Awesome sounding unit and I get useful tones much faster.

For “amp” gigs, I bought a EVH 5150 LBXII with a Mesa 1x12 cab and I’m thrilled. The tones I love at a much more manageable volume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    Don't fall for the false dilemma - you can use modeler/profiler and your pedal board. If you like the effects on your board, run them in the front of the modeler. Can't speak for the AxeFX (assume it's the same) but the Kemper has an effects loop - stereo, if you want it - so you don't lose that option either. Pick the right amp, EQ, gain and cab for every song, and use your pedals as usual.
    Thanks for that! That makes a ton of sense. A little 3 space rack with modeler would be much easier than the tube amp. I think I would get along perfectly with the amp sounds, it's the effects I'm wondering about.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Use a Helix LT