Ernie Ball Cables

Thread: Sterling MMA...backup

User Info Menu

Sterling MMA...backup

I'm considering a Sterling Axis as a backup...does anybody have experience with both the Sterling and the "real thing?"

Just looking for some sound guidance about the ins and outs of both...will be swapping out the guts, so mostly looking for neck and overall construction feedback...or should I just save my pennies for a used EBMM?

User Info Menu

I have had experience with both...

I have three Sterling AX series guitars... two AX40D (with the custom DiMarzios) and a AX30D (with the custom DiMarzios). though they are very similar the price is in the details...

obviously with the EBMM you're going to get a maple cap vs a maple veneer...
    the bridge on the sterling though great isn't quite as nice as the EBMM bridge. I did swap out the bridge on one of my AX40s with a Gotoh Stainless Bridge and that will give the EBMM a run for it's money.
    The AX40 (D series) are fetching right around 6-700 and I've seen a few AXIS' go for just a few hundred more. Now you'll need to be patient and seek it out but if you can snag one on the cheap the Sterling is worth it.

That being said I'm a die hard Sterling fan and use them almost exclusively (I have 2 EBMM guitars that I just love and can't part with) but for the price point the Sterling line does exactly what I need them to do. From what I was told there's almost no or very little difference in the CNC code used to cut the bodies and necks for the Sterlings... and all comes down to the finer details that just can't be had at the Sterling price point.
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

User Info Menu

The quality difference is noticeable, but the SBMM instruments are very solid and a great value.
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    The quality difference is noticeable, but the SBMM instruments are very solid and a great value.
    That's my fear. I'm planning on doing a bit of modification...so on one hand would hate to murder any resale value on an EBMM...but if the quality difference is 'that' noticeable, I'm afraid I would want to turn around and do the same project on a used EB...

User Info Menu

I'd say a Sterling would be a perfect platform for mods / experiments!
    Heck, I'd actually like to own one of the new Axis models.
    We got a smoking deal on one of the pre-"D" version Axis models some years ago, and it really is a great guitar.
    Yeah, there's a quality difference (you would hope so considering the price difference...), but the SBMM's are still great guitars.
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    I'd say a Sterling would be a perfect platform for mods / experiments!
    Heck, I'd actually like to own one of the new Axis models.
    We got a smoking deal on one of the pre-"D" version Axis models some years ago, and it really is a great guitar.
    Yeah, there's a quality difference (you would hope so considering the price difference...), but the SBMM's are still great guitars.
    Thanks. I just submitted a Reverb offer on a[nother] EBMM Axis MM90 lol. If that doesn't go through I'll most likely snag the Sterling...and either way I will most likely start a mod thread...if there's interest...

User Info Menu

Most definitely there is interest
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Vintage Turquoise
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    Valentine (Trem) - Toluca Lake Blue
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Here's a great thread for SBMM owners. There's some great mods within this one. I have one of the SUB Sterling AX4's with SD JB/Jazz pups, real Gotoh Floyd trem, SD Yngwie pots and a Fender super switch. The thing plays outstanding and sounds killer.

Sterling by Music Man Owners!
    EBMM BFR Morse Tahitian Blue S/N G79179 DOB 2/7/17
    SBMM SUB AX4 Trans Red Quilt DiMarzio AXIS pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edhalen View Post
    Here's a great thread for SBMM owners. There's some great mods within this one. I have one of the SUB Sterling AX4's with SD JB/Jazz pups, real Gotoh Floyd trem, SD Yngwie pots and a Fender super switch. The thing plays outstanding and sounds killer.

Sterling by Music Man Owners!
    I ended up snagging a new Sterling AX3. I'm pretty pumped and will definitely be reading up on other mods...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wesman11483 View Post
    I ended up snagging a new Sterling AX3. I'm pretty pumped and will definitely be reading up on other mods...
    Congrats and make sure to put up a NGD post with pics when you get it!
    EBMM BFR Morse Tahitian Blue S/N G79179 DOB 2/7/17
    SBMM SUB AX4 Trans Red Quilt DiMarzio AXIS pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edhalen View Post
    Congrats and make sure to put up a NGD post with pics when you get it!
    Definitely will!

Now just need to decide:
    White, pearloid, or tortoise shell pickguard ��
    (Guitar is white)