Mega Primo Mammoth
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: NGRFD (New Guitar Re-Finish Day)

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    NGRFD (New Guitar Re-Finish Day)

    I'm going to start off with this project was something that I've been contemplating doing for quite some time. My journey with EBMM has been a lot of fun... almost 16 years now I've been playing musician guitars. Recently with the addition of a little one my GAS has not settled; and fortunately, there's a company called Sterling by MusicMan that has fed my fret lusting...

    Recently, I purchased a Sterling AX30D and at the same time got a lusting once again for a Dargie Delight 1... so looking at what I could sell I came up with nothing I wouldn't regret letting go.
    And then I had a brilliant idea to refinish one of my Sterlings... the sacrificial lamb for this project was my LK100D... in Luke Blue... Love that guitar... but why not give it up for a makeover...

    So low and behold I prepped and finished this one all by myself and it turned out great. Is it identical to the Dargie color... probably not but pretty close to cure my desires....
    Code:
    <script src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/publicalbum@latest/dist/pa-embed-player.min.js" async></script>
    <div class="pa-embed-player" style="width:100%; height:480px; display:none;"
      data-link="https://photos.app.goo.gl/zQVD5anEfjmqFW4f7"
      data-title="New photo by Peter Davis">
      <img data-src="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2vyxbfMQWfPwDqGxs1KLKvx9ERu0KUAlRnkg-w33IND6JctFod2IqBARqqvMrynwIvlP70_6eUwgsQb9a_UNnHWDhp0Cfy-UV37AyPj3QYdMZrZtg3ympwjdp-o063EDeysAtRYS=w1920-h1080" src="" alt="" />
    </div>
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Peter, I saw this on FailBook, yesterday, I take it the green is pretty close to Dargie green? On the LIII, that color looks outstanding!!!!



    Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for posting the pic for me! LOL
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Can you say what brand and specific color that is? Looks like a very nice job. Details on your equipment and process? I have an older Axis project that most likely get a repaint, or sparkle treatment but this color races to a high spot on my short list...
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Kandy Lime w/ Maple Neck

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by nervous View Post
    Can you say what brand and specific color that is? Looks like a very nice job. Details on your equipment and process? I have an older Axis project that most likely get a repaint, or sparkle treatment but this color races to a high spot on my short list...
    So I started looking and stumbled upon a color called Lime Ice by Testors (yes the model company) the downside is it only comes in 3oz cans so I cleaned out Hobby Lobby. (Took 4 cans)

    Since it’s laquer the first thing I did was took down some of the original clear. Just wanted to get enough removed to give a good surface to stick to. And I wanted to use the Luke Blue as it’s “primer” coat. I did. Test with white primer and it came out too bright. The grey really helped keep it the Dargie Range.
    Once I was done sanding I used a tack cloth to wipe it down to get any debris off.
    Then I said a quick prayer and off I went.
    I was doing very light coats - this lacquer dries in 20 minutes so every 30 minutes I was giving a light coat.
    After the first can (3 coats) I let it set and did some light wet sanding with 2500 then I proceeded with another three coats... wet sand at 3000 and then 3 final coats.

    Because this is a all in one color I didn’t have to use any clear coat. Although I am considering it once it warms up a bit.
    After it had set for a day I used some rubbing compound and then buffed it to a good shine.
    The. I used guitar nomad wax and polish and she’s set.

    The only thing I regret is not taking more progress photos.
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by peterd79 View Post
    So I started looking and stumbled upon a color called Lime Ice by Testors (yes the model company) the downside is it only comes in 3oz cans so I cleaned out Hobby Lobby. (Took 4 cans)

    Since it’s laquer the first thing I did was took down some of the original clear. Just wanted to get enough removed to give a good surface to stick to. And I wanted to use the Luke Blue as it’s “primer” coat. I did. Test with white primer and it came out too bright. The grey really helped keep it the Dargie Range.
    Once I was done sanding I used a tack cloth to wipe it down to get any debris off.
    Then I said a quick prayer and off I went.
    I was doing very light coats - this lacquer dries in 20 minutes so every 30 minutes I was giving a light coat.
    After the first can (3 coats) I let it set and did some light wet sanding with 2500 then I proceeded with another three coats... wet sand at 3000 and then 3 final coats.

    Because this is a all in one color I didn’t have to use any clear coat. Although I am considering it once it warms up a bit.
    After it had set for a day I used some rubbing compound and then buffed it to a good shine.
    The. I used guitar nomad wax and polish and she’s set.

    The only thing I regret is not taking more progress photos.
    Well, that's a 'rattle-can' route I hadn't expected. Very interesting option. As we eventually warm here in the Northeast this could be a great garage project. Seems pretty low risk all in all. Thank you.
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Kandy Lime w/ Maple Neck

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by nervous View Post
    Well, that's a 'rattle-can' route I hadn't expected. Very interesting option. As we eventually warm here in the Northeast this could be a great garage project. Seems pretty low risk all in all. Thank you.
    Ive done a few guitar re-ranch jobs.
    The key is to warm up the can first with a bucket of warm water. That helps the flow come out evenly
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    That Luke looks great in Dargie.

    I'm with ya, can't get a ball in the color you want, paint it yourself!!!
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

    MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    That Luke looks great in Dargie.

    I'm with ya, can't get a ball in the color you want, paint it yourself!!!
    yeah... even though it's a sterling i was a bit nervous. If it were a strat or a tele... no big deal bodies are a dime a dozen to come by. But i'm really pleased with the way it came out... considering doing a few more... not in the Dargie...
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Nice work. That's awesome for a rattle-can job. I would have guessed it was done with pro equipment.

    I won't be sharing any photos of the last guitar that I painted with rattle cans.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

    http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Great job! You are much more patient than I am, whenever I rattle-can stuff I can't bring myself to spray multiple thin coats over hours/days so it usually winds up with a few runs. That right there is precisely why I don't do finish work aside from buffing!
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Thanks guys!
    I’m really stoked over this one. I too am usually the guy to empty a can in one pass. But I hard to remind my self to go slow and the color would come. And it turned out great! Very pleased
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by peterd79 View Post
    Thanks guys!
    I’m really stoked over this one. I too am usually the guy to empty a can in one pass. But I hard to remind my self to go slow and the color would come. And it turned out great! Very pleased
    So just how light are light coats? A quick overall mist, dry and repeat? Or to a full coverage wet look? The latter gets you closer to trouble obviously and a finer line to walk. Curious what your gauge of 'enough' was.
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Kandy Lime w/ Maple Neck

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by nervous View Post
    So just how light are light coats? A quick overall mist, dry and repeat? Or to a full coverage wet look? The latter gets you closer to trouble obviously and a finer line to walk. Curious what your gauge of 'enough' was.
    it was all by gut... as in I should probably call it good...
    my focus was to get good even coverage and just take my time... with this particular color its hard to tell because there's a silver undertone that had me thinking I was seeing bits of the Luke blue even towards the end... so just knowing myself I stopped and just let it dry so I could really take a good look at the project over all...
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Great color!
    I love green guitars & basses...
    Balls are Best!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums