EBMM Stingray bass green

Thread: Issue with Schaller M6 Locking Tuners

User Info Menu

Issue with Schaller M6 Locking Tuners

Hi everyone,

I got an EBMM St Vincent recently and it's wonderful. But I've just run into an issue when trying to restring: after removing the old strings (detune, unclamp the locks, remove string etc), I've now found that the 4 interior string clamps (A, D, G, B strings) are fully clamped and don't change at all with the rotation of the rear thumbscrews. I've managed to change both the E strings fine, so I cannot work out why this has happened; I removed all 6 strings in exactly the same way, and I didn't have to yank the strings out, they all came out freely. I've tried unscrewing/rescrewing the clamps all the way to see if that fixed it and it didn't.

Can anyone help? This is stressing me out quite a bit as I own other guitars with locking tuners and have never run into this issue before.

EDIT: Problem solved! The clamps were just seized in place, I was able to loosen them by sticking a pin through the string hole which then let me push the strings through. I guess I'll leave this post here with the solution in case anyone else ever runs into this problem.
    Last edited by simonjr; 01-12-2019 at 09:52 AM.

User Info Menu

That can happen with many brands of locking tuner. When taking a string out, after releasing the thumbscrew give the string a wiggle before pulling it back through the hole usually prevents it. On the rare occasions that it does stick a short off cut from the A string or low E string is all that's required to get it to release.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.