BFR October 2019

Thread: 2011 BFR Luke question.

User Info Menu

2011 BFR Luke question.

Hi there,

i wondered if you could please help me. I have just received a Musicman 2011 BFR Luke as a 40th birthday present serial number G52396. I plugged this into an absolutely gunned amp and the bridge pickup is despite being a hum-bucker is considerably quieter than the middle and neck. In addition, the middle and neck pickups while louder than the bridge were not ever driving anywhere near what any of my other single coil equipped guitars are. I have never had a guitar with EMG pickups in and wondered if this was normal or if I should check something (if I need to check something over please can you detail what). It came without a battery so I put a brand new one in, it was an unbranded one 9v one (so not Duracell or Energizer) from the local store.
    Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Andy

User Info Menu

That does sound like a battery issue. The pickups should be as loud as anything else you're used to hearing. It's possible the battery isn't properly touching the terminals in the battery box. (Not all 9V batteries are the same size.)

I would suggest trying a brand name alkaline battery, or with the battery box open, lightly pushing the battery forward to make contact (you can let the strings ring while you try this, to hear if it's working). Sometimes I need to put a small piece of cardboard at the back of the battery, to help it make contact. If that doesn't work, you could try prying the battery terminals up a bit with a small screwdriver.

Beyond that, give the customer service folks a ring and let them help. Keep in mind that they're preparing for the NAMM show, and are probably pretty swamped right now.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. Put a better battery in it and its now working fine... lesson learned.

thanks again

Andy

User Info Menu

Hah! Glad that was an easy fix. Enjoy