Ernie Ball CRNR Jimmy Page
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone convert their Cutlass to 2 HB?

User Info Menu

Anyone convert their Cutlass to 2 HB?

I'm loading up another pickguard for my Cutlass. I've got a set of Dimarzio transition pups wired to split coil on a 2 knob set up i'm trying to see if i can get loaded into a new pg. Any input on where the neck pup should be located (measurement), etc? I'm not too concerned with opening the cavity if need be.

Anybody successfully pull this off yet?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by CRAIG4FSU; 01-22-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    WHICH ONES PINK!?

User Info Menu

I’d love an HH cutlass. I have an SSS and HSS, but HH is my preferred setup. I wonder if EBMM has one in the works? Or maybe the Stingray is supposed to fill that niche?
    JP6 Pearl White born 1/11/11
    Majesty Monarchy Imperial Blue born 1/23/18
    Cutlass SSS Ivory White born 6/13/16
    Sub1 born 5/26/04
    Cutlass HSS BFR Smoked Chrome #21/54 born 12/6/18
    Mesa Boogies

User Info Menu

I’d bet there will be a HH sometime.

User Info Menu

But wouldn't that take away from the Stingray?

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

I had the same thought about stepping on the toes of the stingray. The pickups sound different though. The cutlass H has a lot more midrange to my ear, and maybe has a tad more output.
    JP6 Pearl White born 1/11/11
    Majesty Monarchy Imperial Blue born 1/23/18
    Cutlass SSS Ivory White born 6/13/16
    Sub1 born 5/26/04
    Cutlass HSS BFR Smoked Chrome #21/54 born 12/6/18
    Mesa Boogies

User Info Menu

So the Jason Richardson model is suppose to be like a Cutlass in HH form. I guess it could be possible.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Just a question. Why would you want to put HH into a Cutlass? Don't you get a Cutlass for the single coil sound? Just curious. Thanks.

2018 Axis Super Sport BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2016 Cutlass - Vintage Turquoise
    2016 Albert Lee HH - Trans Walnut
    2016 Axis Super Sport - Trans Gold Quilt
    2016 Chapman ML-3 Signature - Cherry

Line 6 Helix
    Line 6 L2t FRFR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vic_loher View Post
    Just a question. Why would you want to put HH into a Cutlass? Don't you get a Cutlass for the single coil sound? Just curious. Thanks.
    To have different options. I have several loaded pick guards for my strats and change them to suit my mood. This is just another option for my Cutlass.
    WHICH ONES PINK!?

User Info Menu

Is the Cutlass routed for a pair of humbuckers? I thought it was routed for the pups that the guitar came with (SSS, or SSH), I could be mistaken.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Is the Cutlass routed for a pair of humbuckers? I thought it was routed for the pups that the guitar came with (SSS, or SSH), I could be mistaken.

Glenn |B)
    Cutlass pickup route?
    WHICH ONES PINK!?

User Info Menu

You'll definitely need a router, but that's no big deal. After that, you're really just hooking up to the output jack. You could convert the wires to the output to a molex setup perhaps - a quick release/attach set-up for whatever guard you want to put on. All the buffered circuit stuff comes away with the stock electronics.
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Vintage Turquoise
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    Valentine (Trem) - Toluca Lake Blue
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    You'll definitely need a router, but that's no big deal. After that, you're really just hooking up to the output jack. You could convert the wires to the output to a molex setup perhaps - a quick release/attach set-up for whatever guard you want to put on. All the buffered circuit stuff comes away with the stock electronics.
    Yah EBMM use to use Molex connectors for that on the Silo's.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

I got the SD Antiquity Texas Hot set in. Vast improvement over the stock set, but still sub par. I'll keep messing with pickup height adjustments. Maybe, I got a lemon?

Do you think 300K pots are worth a shot before I route this sucker? The playability and quality are why I'm keeping it and trying to get it sounding better.
    WHICH ONES PINK!?

User Info Menu

Nah, I think you should route and it really make it your own, then post some cool pics for us Cutlass nuts. I’d quite like an HH Cutlass myself - next to my AL and STV it’s my most comfy player
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Vintage Turquoise
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    Valentine (Trem) - Toluca Lake Blue
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

I've got a dual hum pg on the way. I'm taking the Dimarzio Transition pickups and wiring (coil split) out of my Sterling LUKE to load the new pg.

I'll keep you posted.
    WHICH ONES PINK!?