Music Man Modern Classics
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New BFRs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    "Figuring" in wood is technically a defect in the wood structure. So you want your defects perfect? Tough Crowd.

I would not have a problem owning any of those Paradise Pink JP15s from Sweetwater.

Wood is a natural product, and will always have variations in color, dye uptake, etc.
    Defect or not, it's something that is used for its attractive aesthetic nature. So when you say this guitar has a figured neck, it should have a figured neck. As far as consistency on that is concerned, check the PRS guitars. They all have ridiculous figuring, whether quilted or flame maple.

And that's coming from a hardcore EBMM fan. I don't even like PRS guitars.

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red
    JP15 Transluscent Black
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    MONARCHY MAJESTY 7 Black Knight
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver
    BFR MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    Defect or not, it's something that is used for its attractive aesthetic nature. So when you say this guitar has a figured neck, it should have a figured neck. As far as consistency on that is concerned, check the PRS guitars. They all have ridiculous figuring, whether quilted or flame maple.
    Not all do, and they also charge a huge premium for their "10 tops". Another issue is the type of maple used. I'm pretty sure that the "ridiculous" tops are all Big Leaf Maple. This is the same type of maple that Carvin/Kiesel uses. It also doesn't have the mineral streaks that you usually see in the Michigan Area Sugar and Red Maples.

Torrefied/ Baked maple however can't use those maples: they are too hard. They need to use the much softer silver maple, or else the wood becomes so hard that it is nearly impossible to work with.

Then take into account the type of blank needed for a neck, compared to a top. Finding a piece of maple that has regular tiger stripe for an entire neck-length piece?

Furthermore, the chatoyancy of figured woods has always been notoriously difficult to photograph, unless you stain it. This is particularly true if you use a multi step staining process particularly designed to highlight it. I'm pretty sure they don't use that on the necks.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Interesting stuff, Big Leaf vs. Sugar & Red Maple. Thanks!!

I l also understand first hand that it's very difficult to accurately photograph a figured, it truly has a 3D texture that can only be appreciated and revealed once you hold it in hand.

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red
    JP15 Transluscent Black
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    MONARCHY MAJESTY 7 Black Knight
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver
    BFR MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle