Axis Capo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Man Silhouette ltd. ed. 2007

User Info Menu

Music Man Silhouette ltd. ed. 2007

Hello, I have a Steve Morse 4-pickup model which I love, but it has too many switches and too many pickup combinations I don't use, lacking others that I would use, most importantly sc neck/middle and sc middle/bridge (the stratty 2 and 4 positions..). So I just discovered a Silhouette limited edition 2007 with HSH (see photo below) for sale in the same beautiful blueburst finish as my Steve Morse, and I figured if the humbuckers are/can be splitted in pos. 2 or 4, I would consider replacing my SM with this. I checked the specs for the current Silhouette HSH model here, and I see that it splits the humbuckers in pos. 2 and 4 : Silhouette | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man . But the seller says that as far as he knows, his '07 model doesn't have this option, he says he's never thought about it.. Does anyone here on the forum know? And apart from the pickup configuration and some design details of course, would this Silhouette otherwise be, and feel, quite similar to my Steve Morse, playing-wise..?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Music Man Silhouette ltd. ed. 2007-mm-silhouette-2007-jpg  

User Info Menu

The silo is a great axe. But won't sound as a strat. IMHO.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    The silo is a great axe. But won't sound as a strat. IMHO.
    Ok, but that wasn't exactly what I asked either, I just wondered if anyone knows whether this mentioned Silhouette '07 limited edition has the same pickup wiring as the current Silhouette HSH model, splitting the humbuckers in pos. 2 and 4 (thereby giving the same pickup config. as a strat in these positions, but not necessarily sounding like a strat..) ;-)

User Info Menu

The 2007 LE (which was called Blue Dawn and is a sparkle finish, not the regular Morse Blue burst, and was available on all just about all EBMM models for a brief ordering window) was a standard Silhouette in every way except the finish. It would have been split coil in positions 2 and 4 which are humcancelling when used with the middle single coil.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    The 2007 LE (which was called Blue Dawn and is a sparkle finish, not the regular Morse Blue burst, and was available on all just about all EBMM models for a brief ordering window) was a standard Silhouette in every way except the finish. It would have been split coil in positions 2 and 4 which are humcancelling when used with the middle single coil.
    Ok, thanks! From the picture it looks exactly like the Steve Morse finish, and not "sparkly" at all, but I may be wrong. This wasn't the best photo either, so when/if the seller sends me more photos, it might be revealed.. I'm also curious to hear if anyone have played both models, and how they compare feel/playing-wise..?

User Info Menu

Looks great! (yes, you should have kept it..)

User Info Menu

I think the pickups on the 2007 Silhouette are different than they are now; however the wiring is the same.

Yes, the Blue Dawn is a sparkly finish; I had a 2007 LE Silhouette Special (the 22-fret Silhouette version; mine was SSS with a tremolo). I wish I had kept this one; here's an old photo of it:

Music Man Silhouette ltd. ed. 2007-qetb4rll-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's another photo of the guitar, together with a couple of other EBMM's he's selling, too.. Can't see any sparkle in the finish here either
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Music Man Silhouette ltd. ed. 2007-mm-silhouette-2007-2-jpg  

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by k.strand View Post
    Here's another photo of the guitar, together with a couple of other EBMM's he's selling, too.. Can't see any sparkle in the finish here either
    OMG that Morse is a rare beast my friend, Original Steve Morse in original Blue Dawn!!! You are a lucky guy!!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=GWDavis28;1044977]OMG that Morse is a rare beast my friend, Original Steve Morse in original Blue Dawn!!! You are a lucky guy!!!

Glenn |B)[/QUOTE

No, I think you got this a little mixed up ;-) I have a "normal" Steve Morse model in blue burst, but I'm interested in buying a used Silhouette ltd. ed. in a blue something finish (could be blue dawn), which is the one pictured here :-)

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=k.strand;1044980]
    Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    OMG that Morse is a rare beast my friend, Original Steve Morse in original Blue Dawn!!! You are a lucky guy!!!

Glenn |B)[/QUOTE

No, I think you got this a little mixed up ;-) I have a "normal" Steve Morse model in blue burst, but I'm interested in buying a used Silhouette ltd. ed. in a blue something finish (could be blue dawn), which is the one pictured here :-)
    Hahahahaha, oh man , my bad, see what happens when you rush. Got it man. Good luck with the Silo.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by k.strand View Post
    Lighting and flash really impact the Blue Dawn finish - the photo of my old one was shot with a lower-end Canon "point and shoot" digital camera with the flash on - which really makes the metal flake pop. In low light/less flash the pearl doesn't pop as much.

User Info Menu

Btw, 2007 silhouette had te same pickups as now (DiMarzio virtual PAF hum-buckers, custom wound DiMarzio single, which is not dissimilar to the current True Velvet).
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Btw, 2007 silhouette had te same pickups as now (DiMarzio virtual PAF hum-buckers, custom wound DiMarzio single, which is not dissimilar to the current True Velvet).
    Thanks DrKev - EBMM has adjusted the pickups a few times over the years and I wasn't sure when the Virtual PAF came out and when EBMM changed to it for the humbuckers.

User Info Menu

99.9% sure the finish on that Silo is Blue Dawn Sparkle. The sparkles are not showing themselves in that pic, but that was the 2007 LE colour (I have a JP6 in this finish), and it has the 12th fret 2007 LE inlay.

Fantastic colour by the way.
    COME ON YOU IRONS....