Everlast

Thread: Is this a real Sterling JP100D?

User Info Menu

Is this a real Sterling JP100D?

I am a Canadian using Kijiji to potentially buy a guitar in a totally different province. Luckily I have a family member who can buy it for me in person with the seller, but I have only been communicating with them via text messaging. They sent pictures - just wanting to know with certainty if this thing is totally legit and not some China rip off copy or whatever!

Any help or insight would be appreciated!

PS - they said it doesn't have the whammy bar. I can buy a replacement. Would I also need the whammy bar nut? Is there even a nut on this model?

Pictures - Imgur: The magic of the Internet

User Info Menu

Looks like the real deal. As for the trem bar, there is an set screw that holds it in place I do believe.

Looks like a nice top. Those Sterling's are great for the money.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Looks real to me too, would be surprised if it isn't. Isn't there a serial number you can cross-check with Music Man?

Very nice quilted maple top.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    Looks real to me too, would be surprised if it isn't. Isn't there a serial number you can cross-check with Music Man?
    I thought they didn't do Sterling by Music Man serial numbers? At least that's whjat Joel posts in the serial number thread.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    I thought they didn't do Sterling by Music Man serial numbers? At least that's whjat Joel posts in the serial number thread.

Glenn |B)
    Oh, I had no idea. Kinda strange, no?

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post

Glenn |B)
    You mean, there is just not cross reference for serial with Sterling guitars, or this guitar shouldn't have a serial stamped on it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    Oh, I had no idea. Kinda strange, no?
    Well yes and no. Sterling by Music Man is it's own separate entity. EBMM has been tracking serial numbers pretty much since the Ball's bought Music man.

I had always thought it might be a nice touch if Sterling did the same thing. Have a rep from their part of the company do the same thing that Joel does.

I have often wondered why the Sterling line didn't have it's own sub forum, but I would image more policing and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmacvicar View Post
    You mean, there is just not cross reference for serial with Sterling guitars, or this guitar shouldn't have a serial stamped on it?
    Not to the best of my knowledge. Not sure how extensively Sterling keeps their records like MM.

Sorry. But what you have there looks like the real deal. Good luck if you buy and if you do come on back.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

I get it, a serial number tracking system would be quite a good thing, especially for buyers of used instruments.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225

User Info Menu

Glenn is correct, Sterling By Music Man is a separate entity that operates under license from Ernie Ball Music Man. Sterling By Music Man does not have a "date of manufacture" database for serial numbers like EBMM does.

From what I can see that guitar looks like a normal SBMM instrument, and not like some of the horrific fakes we have seen in the past.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

To verify it's a "D" model and not a "standard" model make sure the pickup mounting feet are triangular (which DiMarzio pickups have) in shape and not rectangular. If they are rectangles it just means they aren't the DiMarzio pickups. Due to the shadows in the pictures I can't which ones they are. It looks like a legit SBMM. Nice guitar.
    Last edited by edhalen; 03-03-2019 at 06:01 AM.
    EBMM BFR Morse Tahitian Blue S/N G79179 DOB 2/7/17
    SBMM SUB AX4 Trans Red Quilt DiMarzio AXIS pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

User Info Menu

looks real to me. i have the same guitar with RRB finish

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davidmacvicar View Post
    I am a Canadian using Kijiji to potentially buy a guitar in a totally different province. Luckily I have a family member who can buy it for me in person with the seller, but I have only been communicating with them via text messaging. They sent pictures - just wanting to know with certainty if this thing is totally legit and not some China rip off copy or whatever!

Any help or insight would be appreciated!

PS - they said it doesn't have the whammy bar. I can buy a replacement. Would I also need the whammy bar nut? Is there even a nut on this model?

Pictures - Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    I think so you can check the serial number info@sterlingbymusicman.com

From what i know its a Sterling by Music Man JP100D , with the Dimarzion Pickups, the JP100 released 2011 Sterling by Music Man Releases New Models for 2011