New Slinkys March 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air bubbles? along fret edges of new Music Man Majesty 6

User Info Menu

Air bubbles? along fret edges of new Music Man Majesty 6

Hello all,

I've had a MusicMan Majesty 6 in Arctic Dream for about 2 weeks now. I've noticed that the finish along the fret edges from the 9th fret on has what appears to be air or glue along side it. I've seen a couple other past posts about this topic, but they did not come to the conclusion as to whether this is a significant problem or not.

In short, the guitar is the best guitar I've ever played (even in comparison to many other high end instruments I've owned or friends have owned) and I'd prefer not to have to return it... This thing is amazing and I got a killer deal on it as it was on clearance at Guitar Center. I am wondering if these imperfections were the reason why it was so heavily discounted--but that also brings me to wonder if this could be a long-term problem or if it drastically affects its value?

Any opinions or advice is appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air bubbles? along fret edges of new Music Man Majesty 6-img_7617-jpg   Air bubbles? along fret edges of new Music Man Majesty 6-img_1634-jpg  
    Last edited by TheaterOfTheme; 03-02-2019 at 04:31 PM.

User Info Menu

You should contact EBMM Customer Service and see what they have to say about it. Congratulations on the new acquisition!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

Thanks, man! This thing is so sick.

Good call--any chance they would downplay the severity of it? I haven't had any experience with EBMM CS. Also, you have quite a hefty list of MM guitars on the sig, have you seen this before?
    Last edited by TheaterOfTheme; 03-02-2019 at 05:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Hard to say from a picture, but it looks to me like the clear coat didn’t adhere to the rosewood fingerboard. PRS had that problem when they switched to their V12 clear coat formula around 2008, it separated from the sides of their rosewood fingerboards in patches. If that’s the case with yours, or something similar, that’s the first I’ve seen that in a MM guitar. Good luck in resolving it.

User Info Menu

To me that looks as though the fretboard dried out and shrank a bit, leaving the fret ends to push against the clear.

Give EBMM customer service a call on Monday.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheaterOfTheme View Post
    Thanks, man! This thing is so sick.

Good call--any chance they would downplay the severity of it? I haven't had any experience with EBMM CS. Also, you have quite a hefty list of MM guitars on the sig, have you seen this before?
    Indeed, I don't think you can get back to any other guitar once you are adjusted to a Majesty. Given that you like a flat fretboard that is.

I haven't had any such incident with one of mine so far. I don't think they would downplay it, they are honest folks and strive to satisfy the customer. Give them a call and see where that takes you. I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced it.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    Indeed, I don't think you can get back to any other guitar once you are adjusted to a Majesty. Given that you like a flat fretboard that is.

I haven't had any such incident with one of mine so far. I don't think they would downplay it, they are honest folks and strive to satisfy the customer. Give them a call and see where that takes you. I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced it.
    I love a flat fret-board. But, I love the choice they made in making it a 17in and not 20in radius. It has the perfect amount of curve to it. I've owned a couple Kiesels (and still have one) and my friend has a Suhr and I'd say that even among those pedigrees, the Majesty plays better.

Ok, I will do so! I appreciate the help!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheaterOfTheme View Post
    I love a flat fret-board. But, I love the choice they made in making it a 17in and not 20in radius. It has the perfect amount of curve to it. I've owned a couple Kiesels (and still have one) and my friend has a Suhr and I'd say that even among those pedigrees, the Majesty plays better.

Ok, I will do so! I appreciate the help!
    Anytime!! =)

Let us know how they responded.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

Anytime!! =)

Let us know how they responded.
    Hey hey,

So apparently the term for this is 'fret sprout'. I talked to CS and they are awesome, as you stated. They basically let me know that I have two options: 1) Send in for repair or 2) Return the instrument to guitar center for a new one.

Since I got this for a really good deal, I'm inclined to keep it and have it repaired. However, I am wondering if wood on this one is more temperature sensitive than usual. For instance, I have had to add neck relief 3 times to the instrument in the period of 2 weeks (after the professional set-up). The weather is crazy here in SoCal right now, but I've never had to adjust an instrument so much. I have read that adjustments are common for Majesties due to the thin mahogony neck, I just don't know if they should be this frequent.

In short, I am hoping to keep this instrument, but am just unsure as to if it is perhaps a very sensitive given the fact that it somehow acquired fret-sprout during its time on the shelf at Guitar Center and due to the frequent necessary truss rod adjustments.

User Info Menu

Great news!! =)

I would give it back for a new one due to being very obsessive with the condition of an item, much more that of an expensive guitar.

So, what exactly is the option? Give it back to Guitar Center and they will give you another one for no additional cost? Or would you have to pay any extra cost?

Is there an option where you return the guitar for a full refund?

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

Great news!! =)

I would give it back for a new one due to being very obsessive with the condition of an item, much more that of an expensive guitar.

So, what exactly is the option? Give it back to Guitar Center and they will give you another one for no additional cost? Or would you have to pay any extra cost?

Is there an option where you return the guitar for a full refund?
    Yes, I can still return this guitar for a full refund. But I'd have to pay full price on a new Majesty as I got this one around 33% off as it specifically was on clearance (likely due to these issues). Its a tough call--but I'm kinda now hooked on the Majesty feel lol. I'd like not to spend over 3k on a guitar--but the experience lends one to basically not feeling guilty for doing that.

User Info Menu

That's quite good actually. So, here's my plan =D

You return it for a full refund (cause who wants a malfunctioning F1 race-car when you can have a perfect one) and you grab the BFR Cinnabar Red Majesty that Pete Dubaldo has on sale (hopefully he still has it).

If it's not available, or if you don't like the Cinnabar Red finish you can always go for a brand-new Arctic Dream. Or maybe one of the newly released Majesty models.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

That's quite good actually. So, here's my plan =D

You return it for a full refund (cause who wants a malfunctioning F1 race-car when you can have a perfect one) and you grab the BFR Cinnabar Red Majesty that Pete Dubaldo has on sale (hopefully he still has it).

If it's not available, or if you don't like the Cinnabar Red finish you can always go for a brand-new Arctic Dream. Or maybe one of the newly released Majesty models.
    I am kinda looking at the Monarchy Majesties right now...I'll let you know what the decision is. Thanks for all the advice haha

Edit: Do you know if the Artisan series still has the old problem with the gold finish rubbing off?
    Last edited by TheaterOfTheme; 03-06-2019 at 11:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Certainly, let me know!! =)

Unfortunately yes as far as the Artisan is concerned. However, you can order chrome hardware and black knobs and replace the gold ones. That's what I did. I'll take a photo in a bit and upload it for you to check out.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

I'd love to see that Majesty Artisan with chrome hardware!