EBMM Stingray bass pink
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Music man Guitar: questions

User Info Menu

Way to jump in! Great guitar and welcome.

Can second the Blackstar HT-5. A lot of fun in a tiny lunchbox and sounds great. However, with your budget, music preferences, and that guitar, I would take a hard look at an Egnater Rebel 20. Should be well within your budget. Variable output from 1 to 20 watts, and the tube blend switch gets you classic to high gain and everything in between. And as you progress and need to get loud in the future, you already have 20 tube watts, which is pretty loud. It covers a lot of ground for the money, in my opinion.
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170
    Headrush FRFR-112

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoonc View Post
    Way to jump in! Great guitar and welcome.

Can second the Blackstar HT-5. A lot of fun in a tiny lunchbox and sounds great. However, with your budget, music preferences, and that guitar, I would take a hard look at an Egnater Rebel 20. Should be well within your budget. Variable output from 1 to 20 watts, and the tube blend switch gets you classic to high gain and everything in between. And as you progress and need to get loud in the future, you already have 20 tube watts, which is pretty loud. It covers a lot of ground for the money, in my opinion.
    Blackstar and Egnater definitely give you a lot of bang for your buck. I've spent tons of money tone chasing and can almost guarantee that no one who hears me play could tell the difference between a $300 and $3000 amp. As my wife says "It sounds like a guitar..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
    Blackstar and Egnater definitely give you a lot of bang for your buck. I've spent tons of money tone chasing and can almost guarantee that no one who hears me play could tell the difference between a $300 and $3000 amp. As my wife says "It sounds like a guitar..."
    Agree. Definitely more in the fingers than in the equipment for 99.9% of guitar players. You can get a lot for your money these days.

I did a challenge with my brother-in-law, who swore he could instantly tell his Fender amp (which he's played for decades) from its counterpart on my AX-8. He brought his combo over, he couldn't. After watching him haul his back-breaking combo to the door, I told him that we could repeat the process with hundreds of other amps if he wasn't convinced--including dozens of the rarest and most expensive amps and cabs ever.
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170
    Headrush FRFR-112

User Info Menu

First Music man Guitar: questions

Great guitar! I would like to convince you to look at a Line 6 Helix... incredible piece of hardware and you will never play anywhere you cannot use it. If a tube amp is what you must have though, it would be hard to beat an Vox AC15 and a couple pedals for the styles you listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thank you for all the repsonses. I will check out the amps you listed!
    What do you think of the BOSS Katana amps, yay or nay?