Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Music man Guitar: questions

User Info Menu

Question First Music man Guitar: questions

Hello all!

I've recently bought myself a Music Man guitar. It's a Music Man Axis Super Sport BFR (pictures included )! It has a full rosewood neck which I think is unfinished. Will add a picure of that when I get home.

I had some questions on maintenance and which amp should work good with it.

Maintenance: I wash my hands before I play but over time, it will get a bit dirty anyway. I've heard they put on some lemon oil once a year or so on the fretboard but I wondered what to do with the neck?

Amp: although I now have a great guitar, I'm still playing on one of those starter kit amps! I was wondering what amp to get in the future? I've scanned various forums and a number of people remarked that to really enjoy this guitar, one should have a decent tube amp.
    What do you think? A more expensive solid state or a tube? What model do you recommend?
    I'm more of a bedroom player but practice a lot. My budget should be 800 max, but I have no problem with second hand.

Cheers,
    John

First Music man Guitar: questions-img_20190304_093304-jpg First Music man Guitar: questions-img_20190304_093309-jpg First Music man Guitar: questions-img_20190304_093314-jpg First Music man Guitar: questions-webp-net-compress-image-jpg
    Last edited by pallas10; 03-04-2019 at 06:28 AM. Reason: added picture and fixed typo

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum, John.

Wow, that is an incredible guitar. The Axis is such a great model. How do you like those legendary pickups? That’s actually a rhetorical question ...hahaha

The all rosewood neck feels so good. I have one on my Luke III. The only thing I’ve ever done is wipe the back of the neck with the lemon oil on a cloth. Mine still feels as oily as when I got it. I mean oily in the most positive of ways. I cant think of how else to describe it and how wonderful it feels.

Yes, you will want a tube amp, but oh boy, there are so many choices. You may get a different recommendation from each person you ask. Since you are a bedroom player, you should get a lower wattage one. What type of music do you play?

- Bryan

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Thanks Bryan!

mmm Hard rock like Bon Jovi or AC/DC that kinda stuff, but I also very much like to play country and blues. It's one of the reasons i chose the super sport because it supports a wide variety of genres. I'd like my amp to be able to do the same.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pallas10 View Post
    Thanks Bryan!

mmm Hard rock like Bon Jovi or AC/DC that kinda stuff, but I also very much like to play country and blues. It's one of the reasons i chose the super sport because it supports a wide variety of genres. I'd like my amp to be able to do the same.

John
    Ahhhh, yes. The Axis is my main gigging guitar and we cover some Bon Jovi and AC/DC. You chose the perfect model.

One thing I would recommend is to back out the tremolo claw screws a little so that your tremolo lifts slightly off the body. It will then be a floating tremolo. Way more fun.

Well, then an amp with two channels would be nice. One with a beautiful clean sound. So, I’m thinking lower wattage and second hand.

User Info Menu

Nice score. Congrats.

Check out the EB Wonder Wipes. They're great for keeping your neck and fretboard clean and hydrated. That's what a lot of us use on our boards and unfinished necks.

Sorry, I'm not much help with an amp. I've yet to find my perfect match.
    Last edited by spychocyco; 03-04-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

I didn't think I was an Axis guy, but good lord is that killer looking. As for an amp that does those kind of sounds I really dig Friedman stuff, I think a Runt would be a good choice to do that guitar justice. While not a traditional British sound I think a Revv Generator 7-40 would serve you well too. I've had one for about 2 years now, most versatile amp I've ever owned.

User Info Menu

Hi John - welcome! Beautiful guitar! Enjoy it!
    EBMM BFR Morse Tahitian Blue S/N G79179 DOB 2/7/17
    SBMM SUB AX4 Trans Red Quilt DiMarzio AXIS pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

User Info Menu

I didn't look at the budget in the OP, I'd consider like an Orange tiny terror or root terror with that. You can get a good price on the used market and could probably find a suitable 1x12 to make it work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
    I didn't look at the budget in the OP, I'd consider like an Orange tiny terror or root terror with that. You can get a good price on the used market and could probably find a suitable 1x12 to make it work.
    Yeah, I was also thinking of a micro head. With his price range and considering the bedroom volume restrictions. Sooooo many good choices. Time to shop around to see what is within the budget and then watch some videos.

User Info Menu

I'd get a used Engl Screamer. Plenty of headroom for gorgeous cleans and killer distortion. I have one, as well as an older model Engl.

As far as taking care of necks, I've never done anything except maybe dap a few drops of Guitar Honey every other time I change strings. I do surprisingly little and they seem to be fine.

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)
    Stingray BFR
    Natural#G59581

User Info Menu

Great Axis!!!! Killer, congrats on that one! Wish I could help you with the amp !!!
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Congratulations on the new guitar!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Tiger Eye (on its way)

User Info Menu

Oh boy that's nice!!! I would pick up a nice modeller to get going. That'll help keep the volume under control as you get used to that awesome guitar.

As others have said, the rosewood neck is cared for the same as the fretboard. The whole neck is unfinished, except for the headstock, which is gloss. You shouldn't do anything do the gloss part except wipe it down like the guitar body.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Congrats on a great gittar!
    Amp- I -highly- recommend a Blackstar HT5... Google it and read reviews and you'll see why...
    It's one you'l likely keep forever.

...pssst... this is an exceptional deal on these as well.... I had to buy one myself a few weeks back...
    Blackstar HT-5R Guitar Combo Amplifier | ProAudioStar.com
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Nice looking guitar!!!! Find yourself a used Marshall dsl 20watt or 15 watt and get a boss sd-1 , it recreates the perfect Richie Sambora tone. I always got a tone of compliments when using a similar setup. Only thing my guitar is a music man Steve Morse with the axis pickups in it. I have a few friends that use the Marshall dsl combos on tour and they sound great.
    Gio

Steve Morse Y2D with Floyd Rose
    2015 PDN Steve Morse Y2D
    Depurple burst y2d
    Blueburst Steve Morse standard
    Purple Sterling AX40D
    and a bunch of guitars I don't really play anymore