Mega Primo Mammoth

Thread: JP 15 pickups

User Info Menu

JP 15 pickups

This is a PSA of sorts for anyone who has a JP 15 but is considering a pickup swap, maybe it's been mentioned elsewhere but I never saw it. The illuminator pickups appear to be of a special variety for the guitar. They have a pcb on the underside and the bracket the pickup is on doesn't have legs but is flush to the bottom making standard replacement too tall. I've seen it mentioned that the body is routed for uncovered pickups, but the cavity also doesn't support standard uncovered humbuckers without filing down the plate/bracket or altering the body of the guitar. I tried to replace the pickups with Dimarzio Crunchlab and Liquifire and found there were a number of ways they don't fit and I am absolutely not going to alter this beautiful guitar to make them fit.

This is just a heads up to anyone thinking about changing pickups in this guitar. I had already altered the new pickups I was going to install when I noticed that they would also be too tall. Shame on me for not checking.

User Info Menu

Can anybody confirm this? I really dislike the Illuminator neck, and want to swap it out for something else.

User Info Menu

I believe there is a way to get around this, if I've read correctly in the past. However, with the current routing, I'd assume you could upgrade with his current Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker setup, if they ever become avail.
    [SIGPIC[/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lifeson1 View Post
    I believe there is a way to get around this, if I've read correctly in the past. However, with the current routing, I'd assume you could upgrade with his current Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker setup, if they ever become avail.
    They are available to order now, I should have some with standard baseplates arriving on Friday.

It is possible to order pickups from DiMarzio with the newer EBMM style baseplates
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

That's good to know you can get them from DiMarzio. EBMM are not the only one using that pickup style, seems like its an OEM option for production guitars with DiMarzios direct mounted.

JP 15 pickups-pickup-comparison-jpg

This photo compares the one from the JP 15 (top) to a stock DiMarzio pickup (bottom). The legs are flush to the base plate and the corners are rounded off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
    That's good to know you can get them from DiMarzio. EBMM are not the only one using that pickup style, seems like its an OEM option for production guitars with DiMarzios direct mounted.

JP 15 pickups-pickup-comparison-jpg

This photo compares the one from the JP 15 (top) to a stock DiMarzio pickup (bottom). The legs are flush to the base plate and the corners are rounded off.
    Yep! The ones with standard baseplates arrived today, and we have an order pending with DiMarzio for Dreamcatcher & Rainmaker sets with the quick connect baseplates.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Do you just call up Dimarzio and say "I want the EBMM version of the rainmaker with quick connect"? I can't find any option to order them on the Dimarzio website.