Music Man Modern Classics
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Majesty bridge string notches? / more springs more tone!

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Majesty bridge string notches? / more springs more tone!

    Had my Majesty for a few weeks now, getting used to the thin neck and light weight - i really love this guitar, planning to sell off my PRS collection and just keep one Strat and the Majesty.

    One problem i am having however is with the lack of any string slots on the bridge. The skinny e string (.010 tuned to E) slides sideways across the saddle when i bend notes, and winds up sitting offset from the center of the saddle! - making the space between the E and B strings closer than the other strings.

    I could just take it to my local luthier and get him to put a notch in the saddle, but im worried about how this might effect the pizeo pickup response. (I emailed EBMM support about this but no response.)

    Does anyone have any idea of problems i might face adding a string notch to a Majesty EBMM pizeo bridge?

    Another thing i have found is that going from 3 springs to 4 looser springs has noticeably improved tone! - I am going to add a Rockinger type trem stabilizer, and in preparation i rebalanced the trem for 4 springs to make space in the middle for the stabilizer. To my surprise it has clearly improved the tone. More treble, liveliness, and character. I was planning to swap out the shredder pickups in my Majesty for some PAF's, but now i might not need to.

    cheers,

    Dylan

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    update - looked on youtube for how to add a notch myself, tried the "center the string then hit it with a hammer to make an indent" but was unable to make any impression on the (hardened steel? ) saddle.

    Tried cutting an indent with a sharp hobby knife, and after about 5 minutes sawing i seem to have made enough of an indent to hold the string in place when bending notes.

    Installed the trem stabilizer, and having kept it floating but made the action of the trem much heavier (more force required to trem the note) there has once again been a tonal improvement. Awesome !

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mildew View Post
    update - looked on youtube for how to add a notch myself, tried the "center the string then hit it with a hammer to make an indent" but was unable to make any impression on the (hardened steel? ) saddle.

    Tried cutting an indent with a sharp hobby knife, and after about 5 minutes sawing i seem to have made enough of an indent to hold the string in place when bending notes.

    Installed the trem stabilizer, and having kept it floating but made the action of the trem much heavier (more force required to trem the note) there has once again been a tonal improvement. Awesome !
    Seriously ? Using a hammer ?????
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Hitting the guitar with a hammer is just asking for trouble, especially when the part being hammered is a fragile piezo crystal which works by way of sensing vibration. Hopefully the crystal was not damaged!
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    Hitting the guitar with a hammer is just asking for trouble, especially when the part being hammered is a fragile piezo crystal which works by way of sensing vibration. Hopefully the crystal was not damaged!
    Thanks Pete then I'm not the only who think this is insane
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by threeminutesboy View Post
    Thanks Pete then I'm not the only who think this is insane
    I winced pretty hard at the thought of a hammer touching my Majesty.......
    2013 JP7 BFR Emerald Sparkle
    2014 Majesty Sapphire Blue
    2019 Majesty BFR Charred Silver

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Welcome to the forum, mildew. Please post all of your usernames for ebay, Reverb, and any other buy/sell platforms you may use so that I can be sure to never buy used gear from you, ever. Thanks!
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine
    2018 JP15 BFR Eminence Purple

    My Youtube Channel

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Is this for real? Or maybe an early April Fool joke?

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    EBMM Artisan Majesty 7 Nero
    EBMM Majesty 6 Arctic Dream
    EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6 Imperial Blue
    EBMM JP6 BFR Solar Burst
    EBMM JP16 6
    EBMM Cutlass SSS Turquoise
    Taylor 414CE
    Mesa Boogie JP2C

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    How to notch the saddles on your Les Paul - YouTube

    I was very careful, and when my hammering had no effect tried something else. Still no response from EBMM support on my query about how to notch the saddle.
    Last edited by mildew; 03-18-2019 at 10:27 PM.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mildew View Post
    How to notch the saddles on your Les Paul - YouTube

    I was very careful, and when my hammering had no effect tried something else. Still no response from EBMM support on my query about how to notch the saddle.
    I'd give them sometime, i'm sure yesterday they were going thru all of the weekend requests for info and what not. If you wanted too you could give them a call and ask them. But, I'm sure they'll get back to you pretty soon.

    Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Got a response back from EBMM support, TLDR "dont even try, you will break the pizeo". Guitar was basically unusable for me before notching the saddle (bending E string would cause it to move sideways across saddle and after a few hours snap at the point where it was rubbing). Cutting a tiny notch in center of saddle with a craft knife seems to have worked, pizeo still works, but not officially sanctioned.
    Last edited by mildew; 03-20-2019 at 08:26 PM.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mildew View Post
    Got a response back from EBMM support, TLDR "dont even try, you will break the pizeo". Guitar was basically unusable for me before notching the saddle (bending E string would cause it to move sideways across saddle and after a few hours snap at the point where it was rubbing). Cutting a tiny notch in center of saddle with a craft knife seems to have worked, pizeo still works, but not officially sanctioned.
    You're a braver man than I.
    2013 JP7 BFR Emerald Sparkle
    2014 Majesty Sapphire Blue
    2019 Majesty BFR Charred Silver

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mildew View Post
    How to notch the saddles on your Les Paul - YouTube

    I was very careful, and when my hammering had no effect tried something else. Still no response from EBMM support on my query about how to notch the saddle.
    Hell, I respect your willingness to go for it. The technique did come from a reputable source so... Perhaps not not my choice but good on ya for gettin' in there and taking a (literal) swing. I've broken more than my share of many things maximizing both the trial AND error portions of the learning curve. But then I fix 'em, learn the lesson and move on. I'm 57 and still doing bonehead things. Guess that'll never change.
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Kandy Lime w/ Maple Neck

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Thanks shadow and nervous. I think "delicately tapped" would be a more accurate description of how hard i hit it.

    I am really liking my Majesty. It does not have the classic clean/mid gain tonez of my 22 fret wide/fat PRS'es. but it is just so playable. The neck, fretwork, and nut are the most accurately assembled i have ever encountered.

    And having tremset the trem so tight that i can do two fret bends without the rest of the notes dropping in pitch has dramatically improved the tone - still not 70's style PAF dadrock tone, but good enough.

    Im guessing at some point the fancy lectronics will fail and ill end up pulling it all out and installing low output alnico5 pickups and a homemade preamp for the pizeo - but im hoping that day is in the far future!
    Last edited by mildew; 03-28-2019 at 02:16 AM.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Hey, I do lots of stupid things to my guitars I shouldn't. Enjoy it. Fix it down the road if need be. It's just a guitar after all, not a priceless artifact. Make it work for you.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums