Strap on your style

Thread: 2018 Cutlass schematic?

User Info Menu

2018 Cutlass schematic?

I'm looking for a 2018 Cutlass schematic - or wiring diagram - or anything that I can refer to that will guide me as I swap out the whole pickguard assembly. I wanna put the original away in a box and start using a conventional passive setup with no battery and a set of SSS stacked humbuckers. There are quite a few wires going to the jack and it could get a little confusing when it comes time to return it to original. Yes I'm replacing the jack too.

also - mine is a HSS roasted type - not sure if there is a difference in the color code or parts or pot values or whatever from year to year and HSS vs SSS vs HH etc.

THANKS!

User Info Menu

There is no difference between the 2017 schematic that I have and the wiring in my 2018 RS. PM your email address and I'll fire you the PDF.

I would suggest buying a separate pickguard. That would make everything really easy. Other than the connections to the jack and the body/trem ground, you wouldn't have to unsolder a thing on the old guard, just lift it out. Build a whole new install on the new pickguard with your new pickups.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    There is no difference between the 2017 schematic that I have and the wiring in my 2018 RS. PM your email address and I'll fire you the PDF.

I would suggest buying a separate pickguard. That would make everything really easy. Other than the connections to the jack and the body/trem ground, you wouldn't have to unsolder a thing on the old guard, just lift it out. Build a whole new install on the new pickguard with your new pickups.
    Yes I have a new pickguard and that's the plan. It's the jack with the multiple wires for battery switching that might get weird without a little guidance when I flipflop back to original so thank you very much I will pm with email.

User Info Menu

Success! and thank you for the schematic - I'm sure it will come in handy when I return it to stock again. Here's my Cutlass with passive pickups - so far the jack is working flawlessly and has not cut out on me at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Cutlass schematic?-eb-mm-cutlass-sss-jpg  

User Info Menu

Nice work! What pickups did you go for?
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Nice work! What pickups did you go for?
    Fender Noiseless - they were marketed as Jeff Beck Hot Noiseless Humbuckers

They are every bit as quiet as the silent circuit that comes with the cutlass. They don't have the constant presence that the buffer had but they do sound good. They were in my Strat and I liked them but the whammy on that was weird to begin with - 1984 was an odd whammy - the strings loaded from the front - the whammy was kinda worn out and impossible to find parts for. It was a USA Standard but not nearly as good a build as this Cutlass. These EB-MM are really well made instruments. I'll give it a couple of months like this and decide if I wanna put it back to original.