EBMM Stingray bass pink
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Strings

User Info Menu

What Strings

Hi guys just got a musicman axis super sport I have always used super slinkys for years .Any thoughts on changing or sticking with super slinkys?

User Info Menu

I strongly suggest you try Elixir strings. They come in 3 different versions: Nanoweb, Optiweb, Polyweb.

The variation applies only to the E, A and D strings. G, b and e are the same for every version.

Practically indestructible. The shine, brand-new tone and tuning lasts for ages.

Gore | Improving lives through advanced materials
    Welcome to Elixir Strings

Congratulations for your new guitar, enjoy!!
    Last edited by johnnyboogie; 04-16-2019 at 02:42 AM.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

I used normal Slinky strings for decades. I threw on a pack of Ernie Ball Cobalt strings when they were released and I was an instant convert. I absolutely love the bite and growl of the Cobalts.

Certainly give those a try on your Axis.

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)
    Stingray BFR
    Natural#G59581 (10/3/17)

User Info Menu

I’m using EB Super Slinky, Paradigms, and Cobalts, depending on the guitar.

The Paradigms sound like Super Slinkys but last quite a bit longer. I’d probably try those, or stick with the Slinkys.

User Info Menu

I love the feel and tone of the Super Slinkys.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

I played Super Slinky for a lot of years before I ever owned an EBMM, and I stick with them. It's the factory string for the Axis (well, the RPS version). Of course, nothing wrong with experimenting, but I always come back.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

You cannot beat the Ernie Ball RPS strings in whatever gauge you prefer. I’ve broken one in ten years and I teach guitar for 40 hours a week, and play in multiple bands and do a decent amount of studio work too. Best strings I’ve ever used.

User Info Menu

With the Axis pups... I would suggest Pure Nickel strings in what ever gauge you prefer. Gives you that classic rock tone. But, it really depends on type of music you’re going after. I tried cobalts and m-Steel, but output became muddy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    I strongly suggest you try Elixir strings. They come in 3 different versions: Nanoweb, Optiweb, Polyweb.

The variation applies only to the E, A and D strings. G, b and e are the same for every version.

Practically indestructible. The shine, brand-new tone and tuning lasts for ages.

Nope EB Strings only, many options none wrong, Elixer worst strings I ever tried.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post

Gore | Improving lives through advanced materials
    Welcome to Elixir Strings

I agree, I am a big elixirs fan, Opti and Nano specifically. For EB I use regular slinky's though I did like the RPS that came stock on my JP 6

User Info Menu

For home use I use Elixir as they last a long long time and I hate changing strings.
    If I were still gigging I would still be using Harley Benton dirt cheap nickle plated string sets from Thomman
    10' or 9's €1.49 or 1.29 in the UK for a full set.. cheaper if you are in the USA.
    I know some of you will be aghast at using such cheap strings but they do the job.
    The majority of an audience wouldn't know or care what strings you have on your guitar.
    I used to buy 100 sets at a time when gigging and never broke any either
    Use a set for 2 or maybe 3 gigs and throw them away..
    I defy anyone to tell me what brand of string anyone is using or how old they are just by listening to ANY track on ANY album.
    If you say you can then you should be in the Gunness book of records as the biggest Bulls****** on the planet.
    The best string is one that does the job for as little cash outlay as possible for a gigging musician and trust me the HB 's do the job and I doubt you'd find any that's cheaper but best bang for buck buy in bulk.
    Last edited by Pops; 04-16-2019 at 10:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    For home use I use Elixir as they last a long long time and I hate changing strings.
    If I were still gigging I would still be using Harley Benton dirt cheap nickle plated string sets from Thomman
    10' or 9's €1.49 or 1.29 in the UK for a full set.. cheaper if you are in the USA.
    I know some of you will be aghast at using such cheap strings but they do the job.
    The majority of an audience wouldn't know or care what strings you have on your guitar.
    I used to buy 100 sets at a time when gigging and never broke any either
    Use a set for 2 or maybe 3 gigs and throw them away..
    I defy anyone to tell me what brand of string anyone is using or how old they are just by listening to ANY track on ANY album.
    If you say you can then you should be in the Gunness book of records as the biggest Bulls****** on the planet.
    Hahahaha, lmao!! Couldn't agree more.

As far as regular Ernie Ball strings and me playing is concerned they simply don't last. Their shine and tone is gone within a couple of hours and they don't maintain tuning.

I heavily dislike the stainless steel edition as it has sort of a wire feeling. Not smooth, not silky feel at all.

The Titanium edition is decent, with that technology applying to all strings and not just the heavier three.

The Cobalt edition is fantastic as far as feel is concerned but the technology applies only to the three heavier strings with the three high strings being regular slinkys. In addition, the Cobalt strings don't last.

Finally, the Paradigm edition does break without pulling the string like a maniac as seen on the promo videos and again, they don't last.

All that given that my hands are super-dry and almost greese-free.
    Last edited by johnnyboogie; 04-16-2019 at 10:39 AM.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225

User Info Menu

Slinkys are great, up to 5 gigs or less -- just my opinion. I'm a cheapskate so I use D'Daddarios that last 2x the time, but then the intonation is gone as well. I rather use $5 set strings and replace more often (again, intonation issues) than longer lasting strings with close to 2x the price.

User Info Menu

I usually use elixirs but also have slinkys around for any unforseen string changes or if I am swapping pickups/saddles etc and am unsure if I'll like them. That said I'm not all that dedicated to one brand or another. I play EB, D'addario, elixirs etc...they all feel a little different but I don't really think any sound better or worse than any other. It's nothing that I think about while I'm actually playing.

User Info Menu

D'Addario NYXL is also a great high quality option.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225