Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trem bar removal

User Info Menu

Trem bar removal

I haven't asked this before since the guitar fits in the case fine without removing the bar, but it's been bugging me lately. I have 3 Majesties. On 2 of them, the bar pulls out as expected if I want to remove it. On my Artisan 7 string, it will not come out. It moves very slightly up, but then stops abruptly like it's catching on something. Is there possibly a set screw somewhere that might me preventing me from removing it. I don't want to force it and damage something. I got the guitar almost 3 years ago from Sweetwater and the bar was in when I unboxed it. Thoughts?

Jon

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    EBMM Artisan Majesty 7 Nero
    EBMM Majesty 6 Arctic Dream
    EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6 Imperial Blue
    EBMM JP6 BFR Solar Burst
    EBMM JP16 6
    EBMM Cutlass SSS Turquoise
    Taylor 414CE
    Mesa Boogie JP2C

User Info Menu

The vibrato bar on all JPs loosens and tightens via a small Allen screw that is located on the part of the bridge that is recessed within the body.

To access it you will need to dive bomb, hold there and you will see it on the rear side of the bridge that is now exposed.

With your left hand you hold the dive all the way and with your right hand you loosen or tighten the screw. It's very small but you will notice it.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

On the this topic: How do you guys set your trem bar? Do you like it to be able to spin around like a pinwheel or do you tighten the set screw so that the trem bar stays in place? I like to set mine so that the bar stays put. I've noticed on the Majesty that after tightening the screw, the bar will become loose after a few days, I've retightened (gently) a few times already. Is this normal? Is it possible to overtighten that little set screw?

User Info Menu

Not being an expert on these things I would say that yes its normal for it to loosen over time and use and I would think its absolutely possible to over tighten it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mace13 View Post
    On the this topic: How do you guys set your trem bar? Do you like it to be able to spin around like a pinwheel or do you tighten the set screw so that the trem bar stays in place? I like to set mine so that the bar stays put. I've noticed on the Majesty that after tightening the screw, the bar will become loose after a few days, I've retightened (gently) a few times already. Is this normal? Is it possible to overtighten that little set screw?
    I set mine with enough tension to stay in place if needed, but not so that I can't smack it out of my way if needed. I tend not to like the pinwheel set-up because then it always dips towards the floor, making it more difficult to grab when needed.

In my limited experience, I would say yes to both questions at the end; it will become loose with time, especially if you use and move the bar too much, and I also think it is possible to over-tighten.

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Hi Jon, There is a set screw on the tremolo block. If it's too tight it will be difficult to remove the tremolo bar. To access the screw, depress the tremolo arm towards the body of the guitar and you will see the screw behind the tremolo arm towards the top of the tremolo block. Just turn the screw a small amount with a 1.5mm hex driver to adjust it. If you are still having trouble with removing your tremolo arm, please reach out to us at customerexperience@ernieball.com and we'll help you out.

User Info Menu

Mine also becomes loose after 1h of playing or so. I guess it might also be the temperature change or so? I adjust it so that I think it’s perfect but after a while it gets loose. But I use it quite a lot. Any tips for that?

User Info Menu

I tried loosening the screw, but still can't remove the bar. Not sure what's stopping it. Any suggestions?

EBMM JP6 BFR Solar Burst
    EBMM JP16 6
    Taylor 414CE
    Mesa Boogie JP2C

User Info Menu

I understand what you mean - it's not too tight rotation-wise, but vertically in/out. I have a JP with the opposite issue - too loose in/out and therefore doesn't feel as responsive when using it.

Unfortunately I don't have the solution either. I believe there is some sort of retainer spring clip at the bottom of the block where the trem springs insert into the block, but I'm not sure how to properly adjust that or if it's even adjustable.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine
    2018 JP15 BFR Eminence Purple

My Youtube Channel

User Info Menu

You can adjust how tight you want it by tightening the screw on the bridge block.

The vibrato bar not coming out is not normal behaviour. Are you sure you are efficiently pulling it out?

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    You can adjust how tight you want it by tightening the screw on the bridge block.

The vibrato bar not coming out is not normal behaviour. Are you sure you are efficiently pulling it out?
    I just pull straight up while the guitar is laying in the case. Works for my Arctic Dream 6 and my Monarchy 6, but not for the Artisan 7.

EBMM JP6 BFR Solar Burst
    EBMM JP16 6
    Taylor 414CE
    Mesa Boogie JP2C

User Info Menu

That's strange indeed.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225

User Info Menu

I may have been subliminally inspired by this thread but I felt the need to do this little video today because a few times every year there are people who are just afraid to pull hard enough to get the trem arm out of the bridge. I'm not saying this is the situation here but this is a good place to post this for future reference for other people (people do find the old threads when searching for solutions to their problems).

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    I may have been subliminally inspired by this thread but I felt the need to do this little video today because a few times every year there are people who are just afraid to pull hard enough to get the trem arm out of the bridge. I'm not saying this is the situation here but this is a good place to post this for future reference for other people (people do find the old threads when searching for solutions to their problems).

For whatever reason, I can only get about the first 10 seconds of this vid to play. After that, All I get is the YT loading animation. Your other vids play fine.

EBMM JP6 BFR Solar Burst
    EBMM JP16 6
    Taylor 414CE
    Mesa Boogie JP2C

User Info Menu

Huh! That's weird. Works fine for me embedded on this page, on YT and from the app. Anyone else?
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.