Ultra Burly
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neck defect - anyone seen this?

User Info Menu

Great customer service as always! Glad they took care of you on that!

User Info Menu

The other thing that was odd with this crack is that the tuning was rock solid. I continued to use it because I just love how it plays and we had a lot of gigs (a lot being relative...about 1/week). The tuning was rock solid with no issues at all.

And yes, the customer service was rock solid as well.

User Info Menu

one thing for sure is that EB will look after you. I had an issue with a new guitar and it was all sorted - no sweat- no problem .
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

What happened however? Did they give you a new one, or repaired the old one?

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

It ended up they will replace it. The new one is being built. Likely one of the disadvantages of a through neck design is that if there is a major neck defect it is more cost effective to replace the guitar compared with repair. They'll 'harvest' the original hardware from the old one but the body and neck will be new (which is why it takes a while). Sounds like the electronics inside will also be 2019 version, likely because that is all they have now. I asked about tossing in some of the new 2019 pick-ups in there while they're at it. They didn't bite.

User Info Menu

That's how it should be. Glad it turned out well for you. You can always buy the new pickups and install them yourself. No biggie.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

I have the same problem on my new Majesty Monarchy that I bought 3 months ago. Two small cracks getting gradually bigger over time on the neck near the nut. It's heartbreaking. I emailed customer service with pictures and waiting to hear back from them
    Last edited by MetalMilitia; 08-21-2019 at 09:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I wanted to upload pictures of the defect on my Majesty that I purchased a few months ago.
    Do you guys think this is a paint job problem or the neck wood cracking?

Neck defect - anyone seen this?-image1-jpg
    Neck defect - anyone seen this?-image2-jpg
    Last edited by MetalMilitia; 08-22-2019 at 04:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMilitia View Post
    I wanted to upload pictures of the defect on my Majesty that I purchase a few months ago.
    That looks really sketchy since its on both sides and closely follows the fingerboard/neck seem on both sides. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this to confirm but it looks like the fingerboard is slowly de-lamenating from the neck causing cracking along the seem.
    EBMM Stingray 4 HH Stealth Pearl
    EBMM Bongo 5 HH Stealth Black
    SBMM SUB 4 Custom Space Bass Refinish
    Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Markbass EVO 1
    GK NEO 4x10 and 1x15

User Info Menu

Contact Daniel at customer service - customerexperience@ernieball.com - and get his opinion.

User Info Menu

Seeing as it's on both sides, I'd guess it's glue joint failure. If you are still in warranty contact your store and contact EBMM customer service. You can call them and speak to them directly. Contact | Ernie Ball Music Man
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

That's awful for a brand new instrument, I sincerely feel sorry for that.

Contact EBMM Customer Service obviously asap.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

I wanted to upload pictures of the defect on my Majesty that I purchase a few months ago.

Neck defect - anyone seen this?-image1-jpg
    Neck defect - anyone seen this?-image2-jpg
    We're very sorry to hear that you've had an issue with your Majesty. It is hard to tell from the pictures what the problem could be, but I talked to our CS team and they've said your guitar is on its way back to us. We'll help you get this sorted out. If you ever have any questions, feel free to contact me at customerexperience@ernieball.com. I'm here to help.

User Info Menu

Almost looks like the headstock was whacked against something or dropped with that kind of stress pattern on both sides. It is hard to tell from the pictures. Doesn’t look good though whatever is going on.
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170
    Headrush FRFR-112

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for the replies. It's on its way back to EB after I spoke to Joel from customer service and he recommended sending it back to check for accidental damage. It's still within warranty, so we will see how it goes. As far as I know, nobody touched my guitar since I bought it new from GC. I live alone, no kids, no pets and always kept it in its original case. I checked it yesterday before mailing it back and there isn't a single scratch on it.
    I noticed a very small crack on the neck (Low E string side) about 10 days after purchase and thought it was insignificant (only 3 - 4 mm in length). But once it started to get bigger a couple of weeks ago I got worried and checked the other side of the neck (High E string side) and surprise! I saw the bigger crack (the first pic). It's really heartbreaking. When I bought it, it was immaculate. It's very noticeable now, there's no way it was there when I first got it