Music Man Modern Classics

Thread: Upgrading tremolo on a Sterling

User Info Menu

Question Upgrading tremolo on a Sterling

I have a Sterling Cutlass Iíve just bought for a project. Iím thinking of changing hardware on it some and putting on a different tremolo.

I have a few ideas of what I might use, and the Floyd Rose Rail Tail is probably the top one on my list. Iím curious if anyone else has done a tremolo change on their Sterling, and what they used?
    SBMM Cutlass Seafoam Green
    SBMM Albert Lee - Daphne Blue
    EBMM Silo Special
    EBMM EVH - Trans Blue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TonyEVH5150 View Post
    I have a Sterling Cutlass I’ve just bought for a project. I’m thinking of changing hardware on it some and putting on a different tremolo.

I have a few ideas of what I might use, and the Floyd Rose Rail Tail is probably the top one on my list. I’m curious if anyone else has done a tremolo change on their Sterling, and what they used?
    maybe members can help you here Sterling by Music Man Users/Owners Around The World Public Group | Facebook

User Info Menu

I’d be eager to see the result with the Rail tail - love the look of that
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Vintage Turquoise (SOLD)
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    Valentine (Trem) - Toluca Lake Blue
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

That’s the one I am leaning towards. I rarely use a flutter effect or pull up. I’m definitely in the divebomb category. I’ll report back it that’s what I go with.
    EBMM Silo Special
    EBMM EVH - Trans Blue

User Info Menu

will be following this

User Info Menu

Here's what I've found out so far:

The Cutlass (or at least the CT50) has a body depth of 1 5/8". Most standard trems (even the Rail Tail) have deeper tremolo blocks, and those would extend out of the cavity. You would either have to swap the tremolo block for a "shorty" block made for thinline bodies, or get a tremolo that has a shorter block installed.

I found one company that makes a tremolo with a shorter block as an option. That's Super-Vee. I custom ordered their Bladerunner trem with the short block installed. I haven't installed it yet, but if it goes well, I might replace the trem I have on the new SBMM JV60 trem I just bought.

as best as I could tell, the Rail Tail won't work. I contacted Floyd Rose, and they felt like it was too deep of a trem block to fit that depth. I have heard of people taking the back cover off, but I can only imagine how that would have a potential for injury with a trem block and springs sitting that close to your belly.
    EBMM Silo Special
    EBMM EVH - Trans Blue

User Info Menu

Super-vee has been on my radar for a strat so very interested in your results.
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Vintage Turquoise (SOLD)
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    Valentine (Trem) - Toluca Lake Blue
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green