Mega Primo Mammoth

Thread: Sterling Axis Pickups

User Info Menu

Sterling Axis Pickups

Would a set of Sterling Axis humbuckers be the same, or comparable at all to a set of standard Axis humbuckers?
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Kandy Lime w/ Maple Neck

User Info Menu

I have no experience with the Sterling Axis, but from a production standpoint I doubt they're the same pickups. They might be similar in spec/output. To keep these models affordable they have to use cheaper components. They might skimp on the 4 conductor wire for one that contains less strand, or magnets that are less dense. You might be surprised however with those stock pickups. If you have ever tried an Epiphone Sheraton made in Korea from the 90's, they had some really nice pickups. The Korean Samick factory pumped out some really nice guitars in those days.

User Info Menu

I could swear I have read somewhere that the standard Axis pickups are the same as the Dimarzio's used in the Albert Lee. Was I hallucinating? If I am correct, I would really doubt the same pups are used in the Sterling.

However, I am always subject to being wrong. Just ask my EX.
    Brian
    Jacksonville, Florida
    --

2004 Blue Pearl - Albert Lee SSS/hardtail
    2011 Metallic Blue - Albert Lee HH/trem
    2011 El Dorado Gold - Albert Lee HH/trem
    2014 Trans Walnut - Albert Lee HH/hardtail
    2018 Toluca Lake Blue - James Valentine/trem
    (and various Strats, Teles, etc.)

User Info Menu

Sterling Axis style guitars ending with "D" in the model name were originally equipped with Axis DiMarzio's. They were the same pickups as the MM Axis.

AX40D- Floyd locking style trem
    AX30D- Modern non locking style trem

Silo type had DiMarzio pickups too.

Silo 30D

There were also Luke style Sterling units fitted with DiMarzio's as well. I believe they were Transition type.

LK100D

Not sure if there were any others.
    Last edited by Another Noob; 05-07-2019 at 07:00 AM.
    SUB AX3 TBL/M
    AX30D CRB
    SILO 30D
    (They're better at being guitars than I am at playing them... lol )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Another Noob View Post
    Sterling Axis style guitars ending with "D" in the model name were originally equipped with Axis DiMarzio's. They were the same pickups as the MM Axis.

AX40D- Floyd locking style trem
    AX30D- Modern non locking style trem

Silo type had DiMarzio pickups too.

Silo 30D

There were also Luke style Sterling units fitted with DiMarzio's as well. I believe they were Transition type.

LK100D

Not sure if there were any others.
    Correct, there are also some JP model numbers that end in D and come from SBMM with DiMarzio pickups.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band