Not electric until you plug it in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NGD for the ages. Buckeye burl Axis Super Sport

User Info Menu

That is fantastic, so coll congrats

User Info Menu

I can't emphasize enough how nice this guitar is. I have a BFR JP and a BFR Luke II and this thing is right there in quality with those two. In looks, it has them beat imo.

Couple interesting notes about it. This thing is light. Really light. I was stunned at how light weight it is. I was also surprised at how much I needed to raise the pickups on it to have the output be in the same ballpark as my other five electric guitars. Since these are mounted pickups I had to do the old foam underneath the pickup method. The covers on the pickups are the main reason I think I needed to do this. This is the only guitar I own with covered pickups and it certainly makes for a unique tone. Not as bright and a much creamier tone. Very similar to the tone out of a covered Les Paul pickup. In fact, one of my guitar students just got a new Les Paul and we were checking out our new axes in his lesson and we were both stunned at how similar the tone was between the two guitars. Now this was after I raised them with the foam, but it was shockingly similar.

User Info Menu

WOW , very cool, congrats, rad top that's for sure!!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlbasscatcher View Post
    And post a pic of that ASSMM90 while your at it
    I wish I could buy one (burl, like OP)! In the meantime, I'll stay busy on this. Great guitar--and super light.

NGD for the ages. Buckeye burl Axis Super Sport-mm1-jpg
    NGD for the ages. Buckeye burl Axis Super Sport-mm10-jpg
    NGD for the ages. Buckeye burl Axis Super Sport-mm8-jpg
    NGD for the ages. Buckeye burl Axis Super Sport-mm11-jpg
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170
    Headrush FRFR-112

User Info Menu

That's a beautiful top and finish on that ASS semi!
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoonc View Post
    I wish I could buy one (burl, like OP)! In the meantime, I'll stay busy on this. Great guitar--and super light.

Nice, love the MM90's and the solid saddles!!!!

Congrats, Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoonc View Post

Dibs

User Info Menu

The pickup covers look amazing on this guitar, but they had to go. Made the tone too muddy and warm for my taste. I plan on using this guitar for some fairly heavy material and the covers were taking away too much of the high end. I had the covers removed and it made a clear difference. Much more punch and snap. For anyone wondering if covers make a difference in tone the answer is without a doubt yes. Been messing around with the pole pieces to get a good balance everywhere.

User Info Menu

I also have a beautiful buckeye burl ASS and would be most interested to see what the guitar looks like without the pickup covers. Before I decide to tear into mine, would you post a pic so I can see. Thanks.

2018 Axis Super Sport BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2016 Cutlass - Vintage Turquoise
    2016 Albert Lee HH - Trans Walnut
    2016 Axis Super Sport - Trans Gold Quilt
    2016 Chapman ML-3 Signature - Cherry

Line 6 Helix
    Line 6 L2t FRFR

User Info Menu

Nuts!