Mega Primo Mammoth

Thread: Cutlass: Prewired HSS pick guard for SSS?

User Info Menu

Cutlass: Prewired HSS pick guard for SSS?

I have an SSS Cutlass and realized the wood under the pick guard is actually routed to accommodate an HSS configuration. Could I buy a prewired HSS pick guard to drop into my SSS Cutlass? I do like the SSS sound but sometimes the HSS would be more appropriate. I guess I could buy an empty pick guard and assemble something myself. But I trust Ernie Ball to do it better than I could.

User Info Menu

That would be ideal if you could, but I think they might not do it as the pickups aren’t to my knowledge available for sale separately
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Vintage Turquoise (For Sale - see Sales thread)
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    Valentine (Trem) - Toluca Lake Blue
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Wow that's really great, is your SSS a newer one?

They use to do this for the early Silhouettes and Silhouettes Specials, try contacting customer service.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

I just got my SSS Cutlass and was wondering the same thing .

User Info Menu

I think you'll have to assemble your own. The DiMarzio 36th PAF is in my Silhouette Special HSS and I love it. I think you could make a nice loaded pickguard that would sound good.

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James Troska View Post
    I have an SSS Cutlass and realized the wood under the pick guard is actually routed to accommodate an HSS configuration. Could I buy a prewired HSS pick guard to drop into my SSS Cutlass? I do like the SSS sound but sometimes the HSS would be more appropriate. I guess I could buy an empty pick guard and assemble something myself. But I trust Ernie Ball to do it better than I could.
    Hi James,
    Shoot me an email at customerexperience@ernieball.com, and we can help you out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Wow that's really great, is your SSS a newer one?

They use to do this for the early Silhouettes and Silhouettes Specials, try contacting customer service.

Glenn |B)
    I think it was one of the last ones made before they did the roasted necks. I got it when they dropped the price on old necks before replacing them with the newer roasted models.

User Info Menu

So I just sent an email to the customer service link Daniel provided. I’m guessing I won’t hear back until after the holiday weekend. Should be interesting. I actually love the SSS for myself. But sometimes the band requires more of a humbucking sound. And at this point I love the guitar so much, I want to use it for everything. ��

User Info Menu

This is cool - might explore this option myself for my white one
    Albert Lee HH - White

User Info Menu

I heard back from Music Man and they will, in fact, sell a prewired HSS pick guard to drop into my SSS Cutlass. They’ll also sell an empty pick guard for installing other electronics.

I’ll probably try this because I’m a guitarist and I just naturally feel compelled to throw money at more gear and have more tonal options than I’ll ever need. But I’m still on the fence.

I already have other humbucking guitars that do the humbucking thing ideally. And the SSS Cutlass is pretty much the ideal St**t-style guitar. So may be better to just use 2 guitars than try to make 1 Jack Of All Trades guitar. Also my amp requires totally different settings for single coil and humbucking pickups. So not sure if putting different pickup types in one guitar is really real world practical.

But... Me likes new toys!

User Info Menu

This is great news. I’m gonna have to get a prewired HSS for my white one now! Sweet
    Albert Lee HH - White