Strap on your style

Thread: New Sterling by Music Man Axis AX3, Planned upgrades and question on nut UPGRADE

User Info Menu

Question New Sterling by Music Man Axis AX3, Planned upgrades and question on nut UPGRADE

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a new white Sterling by Music Man Axis AX3 guitar, now I know that this is a value guitar and that certain parts will need to be upgraded, I'll be receiving the guitar tomorrow, and the upgrades that I have purchased should come in over the next couple of weeks.

So far the upgrades I have purchased are
    Hipshot R4+L2 Grip-Lockô Open Guitar Tuning Machines.
    Hipshot 6 String US Contour Tremolo Bridge - 42100VB.
    DIMARZIO ILLUMINATOR F-Spaced Neck & Bridge Pickup SET.

I'll be wiring the pickups with push/pull pots for splitting the pickups as well as putting in a toggle for a couple of different caps for tonal differences.

The thing that I am stuck on is the nut, I have never done a nut and was looking for some guidance, I hear people talk about graphtech, so I was thinking of ordering one of those, but is there a better option? is there a model number that is essentially a straight replacement?

Like I said I have no experience with replacing the nut so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, any feedback/discussion on my chosen upgrades would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Sterling by Music Man Axis AX3, Planned upgrades and question on nut UPGRADE-sterling-axis-jpg  

User Info Menu

Go for an earvana compensated nut. Transformed my already great strat into an epic
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Vintage Turquoise (For Sale - see EBay thread)
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    Valentine (Trem) - Toluca Lake Blue
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

I get upgrading tuners, etc. But do you really need to change the nut on this guitar? I'd just leave it be unless you're having issues.

User Info Menu

Have fun with it, congratulations!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

The nut is something I would take it to a pro to replace, to be honest. You're usually going to have to file, sand and make some adjustments with a new nut. It's not as simple as popping the old one off and popping the new one on. I tend to agree with Beej. I'd just leave it alone unless you're having issues.

Nice upgrades on the other pieces, though. I'm a big fan of the Hipshot locking tuners. I have them on several of my non-EBMM guitars.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com