Music Man Modern Classics

Thread: JP6 BFR tremolo problems

User Info Menu

JP6 BFR tremolo problems

Hello all,
    I've bought this beautiful guitar second hand, it's 2011 and lefty. The problem is that, as I've heard, this guitar and its tremolo keeps in tune perfectly or almost, mine goes out of tune. Put new elixirs, first I thought I should give it a little while but nothing's changed. Goes out of tune a lot, when push\pull trem arm there's some high pitch noises like scratching metal. Probably the knives are dull because of irresponsible height tuning without loosening the strings by previous owner. Is there something I can do, or where can I get a new trem unit?
    Thanks a lot for help!

User Info Menu

Have you checked the knife edges? Do you know how much it was used before? Have you pulled the back plate to see if there is anything obstructing the movement of the bridge block?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I've written in my post about the knives - that's what I suspect. I don't know how much it was used, but I think it doesn't matter how much - it's supposed to live ages provide that it is used properly and not turning the knives on full tention. Yes, I opened the back and all seems on place, no animals inside

User Info Menu

Do you know guys where can I buy brand new lefty tremolo block?

User Info Menu

If you are going to replace the block you might as well replace the posts. I've had a defective post with some gouges cause damage to the knife edges on one of mine in the past. Just normal use over a year or so without touching the height adjustments caused the same issue.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine
    2018 JP15 BFR Eminence Purple

My Youtube Channel

User Info Menu

The only one who can provide you with a new bridge is EBMM. They will also require that you send then the old one back. Contact them, they will sort you out.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

ok, I'm in contact now with them, sent them a pics of knives and I hope the problem to be solved soon! Thanks for help!