The Vault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we please get a definitive word about roasted maple maintenance?

User Info Menu

Can we please get a definitive word about roasted maple maintenance?

This has come up on several occasions and nobody from EBMM is answering that I've been able to find in a search. In the FAQ there is a section about how to care for ebony, rosewood, and maple necks. I'm just wondering if there is anything different that needs to be done about the roasted maple necks and fretboards? Do you still do the lemon oil? What about the gunstock oil and gunstock wax? Just want to hear from the higher ups about this.

User Info Menu

I'm not somebody from EBMM, so what I have to say is clearly irrelevant.
    Last edited by MesaBeno; 05-24-2019 at 12:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MesaBeno View Post
    This has been covered quite a bit. I believe the consensus is treat it like normal maple. I don't use lemon oil on maple, but do use the gunstock oil and gunstock wax for the back of the neck. I use wonder wipes for the front of the fret board, or if it needs a little something stronger, I'll use Murphy's oil soap diluted in water.
    Super! Another golden nugget of advice delivered. A similar question popped into my head recently. Thank you :-)

User Info Menu

There isn't anything you need to do differently on roasted maple compared to "regular" maple.
    "Scott Moreno"

User Info Menu

And there we have it. Thank you Dargin.

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that though we have the forum and many folks will chime in with what they’ve learned there’s always the official channel of shooting customer service a quick email.

User Info Menu

I asked the customer shop about this a while ago and this is what they wrote back:

"Lemon oil is fine on the roasted Maple JP15 neck. We don't have experience trying the Dunlop brand in factory, we use the Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner or Old English lemon oil if those aren't available. The Dunlop should be fine though since it's intended for guitars."

I have used it a few times and is works great. I am using dunlop lemon oil on the back of my JP6, too for more than 10 years now. The color of maple part went from almost white when it was new to the typical slightly yellowish/slight brown color of maple. I guess this is more related to the time that passed than due to the dunlop lemon oil since there were no sudden changes and I only realize that when I look at the old pictures.

Regards, J
    JP6 PRB
    JP6 BFR TR
    JPX BFR Barolo
    JPXI BFR BX
    JP12 7 BFR CS
    JP15 BFR QM SB
    Majesty 7 Iced Crimson
    Majesty Artisan Nero
    Majesty 7 Monarchy Majestic Purple
    Majesty Tiger Eye

https://www.youtube.com/user/thejonemusik/

https://www.facebook.com/jonathannadjirimusic/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phatduckk View Post
    Keep in mind that though we have the forum and many folks will chime in with what they’ve learned there’s always the official channel of shooting customer service a quick email.
    Yes, that is an option, but I wanted to have the answer here on the forum so that when someone does a future search for this topic this thread will pop up and their question will be answered.

User Info Menu

FWIW, my maintenance routine consists of doing nothing and my maple necks have been great for decades.

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    FWIW, my maintenance routine consists of doing nothing and my maple necks have been great for decades.
    You stole my routine, I've never had a problem.
    2018 Valentine - Vintage Sunburst BFR
    2009 25th Anniversary - Venetian Redburst
    2018 StingRay - Trans Walnut BFR
    2012 Luke II HSS - Sledge
    2013 LIII HH - Olive Gold
    2014 ASS Semi-Hollow w/Piezo - Vintage Sunburst
    2010 Reflex - Vintage Gold

User Info Menu

I like untreated slippery neck so I fix these from time to time (roasted or unroasted).

User Info Menu

I have been doing as I do on my non-roasted EBMM guitars - quick wipe down with Wonder Wipes with string changes, and an annual (or so) clean with Murphy's oil followed by Birchwood-Casey Gunstock wax and oil.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Most important thing for oiled necks: wash your hands before you play. Definitely helps keep the grunge from building up, which is somewhat inevitable. Wonder wipes once a year also helps.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I used Dunlop lemon oil after I emailed CS.

They said "For the fretboard we recommend using our Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner. You can use any high grade lemon oil on the back of the neck and the fretboard though."
    JP15 Quilt Sahara Burst #G59089 (02 Nov 15)

Progressive Metal Band: Metanoia
    www.facebook.com/wearemetanoiaband
    www.instagram.com/wearemetanoia/

User Info Menu

Guitar Honey is great too if things feel dry.

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)