Ready to Roar

Thread: Need advice on my next EBMM [Please :)]

User Info Menu

Need advice on my next EBMM [Please :)]

Hi all -

I'm eagerly waiting for my birthday and get myself my first ever professional guitar. I mostly listen and play metal, though trying to learn more blues and Jazz. I play an Ibanez Axion Label 7 strings.

I want to get a 6 strings go-to guitar that is going to be very versatile.

The Majesty seems to check all the boxes but I'm not a huge fan of the looks (and as much as I like JP, I think the DT logo and his name on headstock are too much). I played it and it is super comfortable.

It seems like the next best thing for my needs would be the new Cutlass Jason Richardson but that seems to come only in 7 strings. Bummer. Love how it looks, the specs and the roasted maple neck is giving me shivers.

Any model I'm missing? Any insights on other models that should come out this year that I'm missing (like a 6 strings version of the Jason Richardson guitar??)

Thanks for any advice or thoughts!

User Info Menu

Jpxi!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

Albert Lee HH.... covers all the bases with the 5-way switch and is super comfortable.
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by choref81 View Post
    Any model I'm missing?
    So ... almost every MM model is a 6 string. You have a lot to choose from

What is it that you like about the Majesty over, say, a Morse, Luke, Silhouette, Albert Lee, Cutlass, Stingray, etc.?

You say you're looking for versatility, but that means different things to different people. Do you like single coil sounds? Do you need an onboard boost? What kind of neck do you generally like?

If you help us understand your preferences we can make some recommendations.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the responses so far!

So my favorite features about the majesty: First and foremost the punch and clarity of the humbuckers, especially for those chug chug riffs. Second is the neck....everything just feels super accessible. I prefer Rosewood or Ebony. I like relatively thin necks. 3rd - maple top sustain. The piezo and active boost are not a must for me.
    I also like the 24 frets for down tuning (though I see many EBMM 22 are 25.5" and can carry heavier gauge strings?)
    Obviously, when ready to drop $3-5k on a guitar, the looks matter to me (a lot). This is the only reason I have some issues with the majesty - the top horn and logos. Otherwise it's perfect. What I liked about the Jason Richardson is the burl top and black hardware.

I think Cutlass would be my second choice but I never actually played one....

User Info Menu

Have a serious look at the LIII. The Transition pickups are awesome and coupled with the onboard boost, the guitar is absolutely fantastic, feeling, looking and sounding.

User Info Menu

Albert Lee HH, Luke III, Morse... are ultimately versatile tools!
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise

User Info Menu

If you want 24 frets, you've got the JP series or Silhouette. But those have vastly different necks.

I tend to rate the neck as the most important aspect of the guitar, for playability. Given that you like the thinner necks, you're probably safer with something from the JP series.

Since you don't like some of the cosmetics of the Majesty, what about something else from the JP series? Second-hand JP6s can be had all day at different price points (waaaay under $3-5k), with different colors, etc. Plus if you don't like it, you can probably flip it for what you paid.

User Info Menu

Suggestion / buy a used JP6 / you will be amazed at how great they sound / ergonomically perfect and oh the speed !!!

Good luck / you cant go wrong with EBMM / on my third in 2 years and wish I would have found out about these 20 years ago, id be an exponentially better player than I am now.. you will see.

from there yo can pick out the majesty if you go that direction with having a pretty good idea of the excellence you will get

User Info Menu

Sounds to me that you want a Majesty even with your cosmetic reservations or as others have stated look at other JP models

Many choices, I think the new pink burst JP looks awesome and well it has a lot of the same things as all JP model do

Good Luck

User Info Menu

Thanks all! I will update you with my decision. As of now I have 2 thoughts:

1. Just go with the Majesty. It seems like the perfect guitar. Not crazy about that horn but hey, I didn't like whiskey the first time I tried it either.

2. Wait for the Jason Richardson Cutlass (are they really only making 100?). Even though it's 7 strings, on paper it seems exactly what I'm looking for. Then I'll switch my 7-string Ibanez with a different 6 string.

Thanks again for all the advice!

User Info Menu

Ok, so you're pretty good on what you want, which is good.

Hopefully you can get your hands on the Jason Richardson Cutlass- sure looks cool.

User Info Menu

If you are in the US hit me up with an email! I've got some Majesty models in stock and in transit and I'll also have some of the JR models when they are released in July.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by choref81 View Post
    I also like the 24 frets for down tuning (though I see many EBMM 22 are 25.5" and can carry heavier gauge strings?)
    Not many... almost all (except the Armada, if I remember correctly).

+1 for the AL HH
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    ASS BFR, AL HH, Silo