Mega Primo Mammoth

Thread: Morse Y2D pickup heights

User Info Menu

Morse Y2D pickup heights

Hi there,

I was messing around with my Morse Y2D the other day and decided to take the pickguard off to clean behind it. The only problem is that I forgot to measure the pickup heights beforehand.

Does anyone know the heights for each one? I've been goofing around with them, but cannot make it the same sound/feel as before.

I had always kept them as I got them, assuming that's the way SM has them.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you

User Info Menu

Holding your E string down at the last fret, use a nickel and set your pickups height a nickel width from the string. Then use your ears and adjust lower from there.
    Lower the bass side to even up the volume between the high and low E.
    When you get the first pickup sounding good adjust the hight of the others to even up the volume between pickups.
    Your ears are the best measuring tools for setting pickup heights.

User Info Menu

I'm sure someone will chime in shortly. The Steve Morse guitars come with a pretty specific setup, optimized for the very high output of the pickups, which were designed to sound better farther from the strings than most humbuckers. It has been posted before.

Ah, here we go, should be the same for the Y2d version, which has the same pickups, just no middle pickup.

Steve Morse EBMM correct pick up height
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlbasscatcher View Post
    Holding your E string down at the last fret, use a nickel and set your pickups height a nickel width from the string. Then use your ears and adjust lower from there.
    Lower the bass side to even up the volume between the high and low E.
    When you get the first pickup sounding good adjust the hight of the others to even up the volume between pickups.
    Your ears are the best measuring tools for setting pickup heights.
    Thanks for the reply.

The thing is, I've already tried the standard pickup setup, but it's just not the same. I cannot get that same mojo. Somethings a bit different with these pups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    I'm sure someone will chime in shortly. The Steve Morse guitars come with a pretty specific setup, optimized for the very high output of the pickups, which were designed to sound better farther from the strings than most humbuckers. It has been posted before.

Ah, here we go, should be the same for the Y2d version, which has the same pickups, just no middle pickup.

Steve Morse EBMM correct pick up height
    Cool! Thanks for replying, also. This would make sense to me, as I have tried the standard setups, like JLBasscatcher suggested .... but I just cannot find the sweet spot again. Maybe I lack the patience to adjust and then play for every half-turn of the screw adjusters ... lol.

The link is great and I will give it a try and lets see what happens.

User Info Menu

I just looked at my Morse and I do have the pickups sitting quite low. Like I said, use your ears.

User Info Menu

Bingo! The old thread had the magic numbers! I used them and then made slight adjustments here and there to suit my needs.

It's amazing how the sound changes quite dramatically with these pups.

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone for having a look and replying! It's made my day to get the right sound back