Strap Blocks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just received my first music man guitar and am kind of disappointed.

User Info Menu

Just received my first music man guitar and am kind of disappointed.

Hi guys i just got my first music man guitar earlier. A BFR axis in predator green. The guitar is real nice plays and sounds good. But I am kind of disappointed that the high E is very close to the edge of the fretboard.
    Iím wondering if I will have any issues when I go to my normal 11-52 string gauge. It wouldnít be so bad but it was the last one Sweetwater had so I canít exchange it for another one.
    What do you guys think am i over thinking it? Or should I be disappointed since it costed 3 grand?
    Just received my first music man guitar and am kind of disappointed.-e68054e8-77ed-4e49-84d2-e2e551eed5d1-jpg
    Just received my first music man guitar and am kind of disappointed.-56471454-19cf-485e-b0ae-dba79a3b89b9-jpg

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on a gorgeous guitar!

The neck has shifted a little in the pocket.

Here is a somewhat youger me, with a little something I did earlier...

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Disappointed with that! Its a beauty.
    "What is understood need not be discussed"

User Info Menu

Congratulations!! Follow Dr. Kev's instructions, that's what's 'wrong' with your Axis.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

Actually, you'd have better luck discussing this with customer service than here....
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

I’m going to look into it. Overall it is a great guitar and I am happy with it. I just wasn’t expecting that. Some of it could be just being picky. But I’ve never spent this much on a guitar before. and have been saving up for over a year.

User Info Menu

It shouldn't have gone out that way IMO, I'd send it back and get what you are TOTALLY happy with, for the $$.

Honestly EBMM guitars are really of highest quality, you shouldn't get another one like this, sounds like a miss.
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Hi Moonman079,

From your pictures, it seems like you're experiencing neck shift. This is normal on guitars with bolt-on necks. Ernie Ball Music Man guitars are built with a .020 gap tolerance at the very back of the neck joint with a slight outward taper towards the opening of the pocket. This allows for expansion of the wood in the joint to prevent neck pocket cracking.
    Sometimes when a guitar is shipped or stored on its side in the case, the neck can shift to one side in the pocket. The fix is to loosen the bolts on the neck and move it back to the center (watch Dr. Kev's video). If you're not comfortable doing this, we recommend having a qualified guitar technician work on your guitar.
    If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email at customerexperience@ernieball.com and I'll help you out.

User Info Menu

I’ve performed the exercise in Dr Kev’s video on a Jp12... follow the video and you’ll be ok!!!

There is nothing wrong with that guitar and no need to send it back.

If you want to CYA, call customer service prior to doing Dr’s video.... but you’ll be fine either way.
    -Spike
    @blueavngr

2017 Valentine- Starry Night
    2015 JP15 Blueberry (63/300)

2019 Cutlass SSS Vintage Sunburst

"I don't sell my guitars-- they are like ex-girlfriends. You get tired with them and toss them to the side... but then, every once in a whileÖ Damn! You really want to play with them again."

User Info Menu

Dr. Kev is dead on. EVERY EB/MM guitar I've ever owned had to have the necks shifted. No big deal at all. Takes five minutes.

User Info Menu

Definitely looks like a neck shift. You can even see how the neck has shifted. As the cutaway is pretty big, there is very little on the high E side to prevent a slight shift. This is an easy fix, and it will then be right as rain. Shipping exposes guitars to quite a bit more stress, temperature variations, etc than they would usually ever be subjected to under regular use, so unfortunately this can happen.

I would see if you can do it yourself, or see if you can get someone to look at it for you. Re-setting a bolt-on neck is a basic setup procedure, one you can easily do yourself.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Thanks guys I talked to customer support today they said it’s just a shift. I’m going to reset it when I get home.
    I’ve done it on a few Fender’s over the years. Their neck pockets have a lot more room. Overall I am happy with the guitar. Feels great I wish I had tried music man before.
    Coming from les Paul’s and SG’s. it’s going to take some getting used to all the way around. Mainly the nut width and smaller body. But it seems like it wouldn’t take long to adjust to.

User Info Menu

Really sexy guitar and I LOVE the green. Should be an easy fix for you. I had that problem on a JP, but it wasn't the neck shifting, it was the nut. It had been cut incorrectly. On your guitar with the Floyd it certainly just seems like the neck shifted. You'll be up and running in no time.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys I adjusted the neck late last night. Everything lines up a lot better. Now time to put a few hours on it to see if I can bond with it.

User Info Menu

awesome! Hopefully the neck stays put for a good long time.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck