Axis Capo

Thread: New Morse owner has a question

User Info Menu

New Morse owner has a question

Hello, World!

I bought a 2016 Morse from eBay. It's my first MusicMan guitar, one I've wanted for years and I have some first newbie impressions as well as a question. I'll do the impressions first:

• It's small. Actually, comparing it against other guitars I have it's not but it looks and feels compact.
    • It's a lovely colour -- the website doesn't do it justice
    • Pickups are very well balanced, the single coils aren't overwhelmed by the humbuckers and the guitar reacts well as you turn the volume up to control distortion
    • Neck is amazingly comfortable, I find it really easy on my little hands
    • *That* switching -- not hard after a few minutes. Much harder is keeping your right hand from hitting that +Bridge switch. This is not a casual strumming guitar, your picking hand needs to be accurate. I briefly wondered about how hard it would be to change that switch to a Brian May style slider to lower the profile.

Overall, it's a lovely thing. I do wish it had a bit of a carve but the slab body's not uncomfortable. Here's the question:

Sometimes it feels lie there's a tiny bit of "give" in the neck joint. Nothing visibly moves and the tuning's solid but it feels like there's a very slight click or twitch as I get the guitar off the stand or into playing position. Is this normal for this guitar, or bolt-ons in general? All my other guitars are set-necks or through necks and this is the first Morse I've seen so...?

User Info Menu

Nope, doesn't sound normal. Check to make sure the neck plate screws are tightened properly.

Dr. Kev just posted a video about pocket shift (not that it's what you are experiencing) that might be worth a look. Shouldn't be any give, popping, or clicking of the neck when you pick it up, methinks.

Fixing String Alignment on a Bolt-On Neck Guitar - DrKevGuitar.com - YouTube
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170
    Headrush FRFR-112

User Info Menu

Congratulations, have fun with it!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

Thanks @Wahoonc -- I had tries the screws initially but on retrying found a *tiny* amount of give in a couple. Seems to have sorted it, much obliged to you.
    - "Isn't this the part of your profile where you post something funny to sum up your character?"
    - "Yes, I'm sure I'll get round to that"

User Info Menu

Excellent! Happy playing.
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170
    Headrush FRFR-112

User Info Menu

Just remember, they should be snug, but not RAAARRRRR TIGHTEN SCREW snug. It's just wood, and you can strip out the screw holes if you tighten them too much.

Anyway, enjoy it! They are awesome guitars! So versatile.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck