EBMM Stingray bass blue
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing a JP6 -- pic thread

User Info Menu

Damn Pete your right that is a great neck, you are gonna luck out again from the looks of it so far.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vexed73 View Post
    I bet I am not the only one kicking themselves for not buying this after seeing that birdseye.
    Definitely regretting it...but also know that this beauty made it into the right hands for the job. But yes...I will be kicking myself hard once I see the amazingness that seems to be in store.
    EBMM 1998 Axis Sport
    SBMM 2018 AX3

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs." Stephen King

User Info Menu

Looking killer so far! Might be fun to try that veneer top...
    Greg

2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

User Info Menu

Great thread... painting THAT neck..... unbelievable
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005 pix
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994 pix
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004 pix
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011 pix

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

Here's a thought to salvage the body. Something I considered on my Axis before repainting. That appears to be a flat top which is in your favor. I'd get that to someone with a planer and make enough passes to compensate for whatever thickness of top will go on it to restore to the original thickness when new. that drop top area and perimeter carve is what presents the challenge and makes a figured top difficult unless you do a black edged burst of some sort. If you can resign yourself to painting a solid color things get easier. After it's thickness planed you glue a new maple top on, reshape the edges, re-route the pickup openings with a bottom bearing bit and trem opening (or simply go to a hard tail bridge). re-drill the correct holes and send it off for however many coats of fill and primer it needs to return to glass smoothness.

That neck reveal was like a freakin' archaeological dig! I can't believe the "made in" decal survived as cleanly as it did. The neck may be the biggest win overall.
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Kandy Lime w/ Maple Neck

User Info Menu

Can't wait to see the results of this restoration

User Info Menu

IMO, the neck alone is worth the effort / when will the bidding begin on the finished product.. I personally like playing guitars with a sordid history and a story of redemption……..NO LESS AN EBMM !!!!

User Info Menu

Man, I suspected there was a nice neck under that gunk. Probably worth the price if nothing else were salvageable. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

So Mr Dubaldo, any hints or torture about the color? I'm thinking your doing something blue, since I know your fondness for blue guitars.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Would you consider a black sparkle to match my Axis Super Sport?

Here is a pic to help you match it up....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Refinishing a JP6 -- pic thread-ebmm-axis-ss-black-sparkle-jpg  
    Last edited by click track; 07-10-2019 at 02:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    So Mr Dubaldo, any hints or torture about the color? I'm thinking your doing something blue, since I know your fondness for blue guitars.

Glenn |B)
    I do love blue but I have plenty of blue guitars with at least one more on the way; this will be something different that I will eventually sell in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by click track View Post
    Would you consider a black sparkle to match my Axis Super Sport?

Here is a pic to help you match it up....
    That's a beautiful guitar but I'm all sparkled out with the recent BFR offerings!
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

What about going old school with something like Surf Green. Would look great with that neck!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    I do love blue but I have plenty of blue guitars with at least one more on the way; this will be something different that I will eventually sell in the store.

That's a beautiful guitar but I'm all sparkled out with the recent BFR offerings!

User Info Menu

I hear some of the cool kids are doing a doing a raging candy green...
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Kandy Lime w/ Maple Neck

User Info Menu

Sonic Blue, matching headstock, and put a Silhouette-style mint green PICKGUARD on it!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Sonic Blue, matching headstock, and put a Silhouette-style mint green PICKGUARD on it!
    Pick guard on a JP?

Glenn |B)