New Prodigy

Thread: Cutlass Pickup Noise

User Info Menu

Cutlass Pickup Noise

Hey all,

So I have noticed recently that my SSS Cutlass is generating more pickup noise than my Fender Tele is which has no noise canceling system. I changed the battery and it didnít change a thing. I read through all of the old threads and I see a lot of talk of adjusting the trim pot but I would like to hear what you all have add if anything at all.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Not a problem I’ve had with mine. Might be worth popping the guard off and checking the connections on the PCB if it is something that hasn’t always been there. Then you can also look at the trim pots - but I would have thought the trim pott setting would be the last point of consideration if the noise issue hasn’t always been there. Could you get a recording of the sounds so that you could share with us here via soundcloud - perhaps a clip of the Cutlass and the tele so we can hear your frame of reference?
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Vintage Turquoise (SOLD)
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    Valentine (Trem) - Toluca Lake Blue
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Ok so before I take the pick guard off here are two sound clips. One is the cutlass, cycling through all five positions and then the tele in each of the three.

Cutlass by Eric Klinger - Listen to music

Tele by Eric Klinger - Listen to music

The humming/buzz/noise gets worse on the cutlass as I move from the bridge to the neck. The tele is basically silent. Mic was not moved and the amp settings remained the same for each recording. The guitars were held in the playing position

User Info Menu

In the neck/middle position it should be nearly humbucker silent. Your humbucker should also be silent. That they are not suggests a small problem somewhere, possibly a poor ground connection somewhere but without the guitar in front of me it's impossible to diagnose.

Get in touch woth customer service, see the links in my signature below this post. In the US/Canada you can call toll free.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Couple notes from this morning:

The buzz/noise/hum stops when the strings are touched as well as any other metal part on the guitar. Also, the noise is completely eliminated when I turn the tone all the way down as well as the volume.

User Info Menu

That sounds like a grounding problem to me. The connection might just be iffy. You’ll have to pop the pickguard and trem cover off to check the grounding connections.
    Albert Lee HH - White

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ek11sx View Post
    Couple notes from this morning:

The buzz/noise/hum stops when the strings are touched as well as any other metal part on the guitar. Also, the noise is completely eliminated when I turn the tone all the way down as well as the volume.
    Hi there,
    The guitar is grounded through the bridge, so if you are not touching the strings, it will hum, even with the silent circuit. I would suggest trying to adjust your trim pots for the silent circuit. If you are still having issues, shoot me an email at customerexperience@ernieball.com with your guitars serial number and I'll help you out.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Daniel and all.

Is there a resource or guide on how to adjust the trim pot? I am not familiar. If it would be easier to move this to email that more than ok, just let me know. Thanks again

User Info Menu

Adjusting the trim pot did absolutely nothing, FYI

User Info Menu

Shoot customer service an email mate - needs investigating properly
    Albert Lee HH - White

User Info Menu

I have a separate email out. Just documenting at this point

User Info Menu

Cool man - keep us posted. It’s good to build up a databank of solutions as problems crop up. It’s definitely not normal cos none of mine sound like that
    Albert Lee HH - White