New Prodigy

Thread: Anyone try a different EMG in a luke 2?

User Info Menu

Anyone try a different EMG in a luke 2?

Just wondering. I have a hankering to try a 60A, 58, 57, and maybe a 60. Wonder if one would balance better with the singles.
    GUITARS
    Blueberry Luke III HH BFR
    Bahama Luke 2 BFR
    Shadow gold luke III BFR

User Info Menu

I haven't tried one, but I think the bridge humbucker is the weakest part of that guitar. Not to say it isn't a good pickup because it is certainly decent enough. The two single coils are amazing and the bridge just isn't quite on par with them.

User Info Menu

Now, the neck single coil EMG in HSS Luke 2 is *amazing*, never had problems with the bridge humbucker. I think it really depends what kind of music style you intend the guitar for, maybe the pickups are not suitable super-tight death metal....

User Info Menu

Just want it to be closer in sound to the transition in my LIIIs.
    GUITARS
    Bahama Luke 2 BFR
    Shadow gold luke III BFR

User Info Menu

I think kbaim (kBoom) put an EMG 89 in the bridge of on of his.
    I seem to recall he liked it
    93 Silhouette 96 Silhouette Recovered!2007.8.3 99 Silhouette Bass Guitar 00 Steve Morse 02 Sterling 02 Petrucci 02 Silhouette 04 Bongo 04 S.U.B. 05 Steve Morse Y2D 06 Silhouette 06 Petrucci 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 07 7 String 10 Honey Burst Silhouette 11Black Sugar Silhouette 12 Ash Floyd Silhouette

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorM View Post
    I think kbaim (kBoom) put an EMG 89 in the bridge of on of his.
    I seem to recall he liked it
    EMG 89 is the same as EMG 85 plus single SA. So sound as humbucker is the same
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

89 is nice a little different sounding then 85 but similar. Just sucks almost as much trouble wiring it in as going passive.
    GUITARS
    Bahama Luke 2 BFR
    Shadow gold luke III BFR

User Info Menu

The 57 is one of my favorite EMG offerings. It's less tight and compressed than the more traditional 85/81. I also think the 60 is pretty cool in the bridge. I wanted to like the 60A but found it a little underwhelming. Seemed to me to have noticeably less output and clarity than the 60. For me the 57 > 60 > 60A. I have no experience with the 58.