Ready to Roar
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've joined the club but I just wish it had a tremolo...

User Info Menu

I've joined the club but I just wish it had a tremolo...

So, I am thrilled with my new Ernie Ball Albert Lee MM90! Well, it's a 2001, but there's maybe one ding on it that I can see on the back of the neck. White sparkle finish with birds eye neck...workmanship, finish, tones, just killer! I just wish it had a trem. I love it enough to keep it hardtail if I have to - but every other guitar I own has a tremolo of some sort and I find myself missing it. Has any one tried to retrofit a trem unit? I know I can buy a different Albert Lee, but I just love everything about this one, haha. Some pics - I was testing a vintage Helios 44 lens, so there's some flair and vibe going on.

I've joined the club but I just wish it had a tremolo...-dsc00759-jpg

I've joined the club but I just wish it had a tremolo...-dsc00755-jpg

I've joined the club but I just wish it had a tremolo...-dsc00749-jpg

User Info Menu

I wouldn't put a kahler on a les paul been kicking myself ever since. I would just buy another with a trem and keep that one like it is. Find I am inspired with a guitar with no trem.
    GUITARS
    Blueberry Luke III HH BFR
    Bahama Luke 2 BFR
    Shadow gold luke III BFR

User Info Menu

You might be right. It'd be my only hard tail electric which would probably lead me down some new directions...

User Info Menu

Apparently, adding an aftermarket Bigsby is all the rage.

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)
    Stingray BFR
    Natural#G59581 (10/3/17). FS
    REVERB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    Apparently, adding an aftermarket Bigsby is all the rage.
    Hahahaha oh man. That would be sad... 😂

User Info Menu

Probably easier to track down one that was made with a tremolo, though the MM90 versions are quite a bit harder to find. I definitely wouldn't try to fit a tremolo on that, especially with that awesome and rare finish.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

That looks amazing!
    Adding a trem is doable but would be a bit of work to do. My personal opinion is keep as is and get another one with a trem when it pops up for sale.
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS HSS - Firemist Silver
    Cutlass Hunter Hayes - Lake Tahoe Blue
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

I mean, I can see why the hardtails don't get the same love they do... but I love them. In fact when I have a tremolo I often seem lost as to what to do with it. One of the early guitars Billy Gibbons used in the studio, along with the legendary Pearly Gates Les Paul, was a Hardtail Stratocaster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Probably easier to track down one that was made with a tremolo, though the MM90 versions are quite a bit harder to find. I definitely wouldn't try to fit a tremolo on that, especially with that awesome and rare finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    That looks amazing!
    Adding a trem is doable but would be a bit of work to do. My personal opinion is keep as is and get another one with a trem when it pops up for sale.
    Yeah, I think you guys are right. I'd hate to make it unoriginal - even if a pro does the job and keeps it clean...it's perfect the way it is and will be another flavor in the studio. For folks that need a hard tail. And for when I grow into it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aaronstrumpel View Post
    Yeah, I think you guys are right. I'd hate to make it unoriginal - even if a pro does the job and keeps it clean...it's perfect the way it is and will be another flavor in the studio. For folks that need a hard tail. And for when I grow into it...
    Clapton definitely felt that it was a different sound. He never used the tremolo, and would block all of his. All of his signature models are the same way, when he could easily just make it a hard tail. Says the sound is different.

User Info Menu

Can you post pictures of the full guitar? Hard to see!

User Info Menu

Nice man, congrats, I have the exact same guitar and absolutely love it!!!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Nice man, congrats, I have the exact same guitar and absolutely love it!!!!

Glenn |B)
    I love those white covers! Such a rad guitar...I've been more of a nitro-finish guitar guy, but with the finish these necks have, I'm blown away by the feel of this thing! Definitely made an exception in the finish department - helps that I'm also a sparkle finish kind of person!

User Info Menu

Let's see if this upload works - had to resize images to make them smaller:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've joined the club but I just wish it had a tremolo...-img_4932_smaller-jpg   I've joined the club but I just wish it had a tremolo...-img_4939_smaller-jpg   I've joined the club but I just wish it had a tremolo...-img_4941_smaller-jpg   I've joined the club but I just wish it had a tremolo...-img_4945_smaller-jpg   I've joined the club but I just wish it had a tremolo...-img_4950_smaller-jpg  

User Info Menu

Ok, just uploaded five pics - I don't know how to make the gallery show them at the size I cropped them to...

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    Can you post pictures of the full guitar? Hard to see!