BFR October 2019

Thread: Modding Silhouettes

User Info Menu

Modding Silhouettes

I am wondering if there were many of you out there who have enjoyed modding their Silhouettes. All three of mine are 24 fret 6 bolt early 80's models that I have paid less than 400 for. They are fantastic guitars. The TV Jones Pickups are Powertrons and are truly excellent both for clean sounds and with a fair bit of dirt. The Twin Humbuckers are House Of Tone Tru PAF and again are really excellent sounding. I have them wired for parallel or series, hence the mini switches. The other Silhouette has a House Of Tone P90 and a Tru PAF at the bridge. I also had the pickguards made for me by a local luthier and I was really pleased with how they turned out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modding Silhouettes-dscn9163-jpg   Modding Silhouettes-dscn9168-jpg   Modding Silhouettes-dscn9169-jpg  

User Info Menu

They look so cool! Love the pickguards!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Nice that looks really great. Are you just buying red? Nice that you've got a local guy that'll do pick guards for you.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Nice that looks really great. Are you just buying red? Nice that you've got a local guy that'll do pick guards for you.

Glenn |B)
    Well I did have a white five bolt and a plain six bolt. But these were the one's that I loved to play. I have had them re-fretted with medium jumbo frets and they play perfectly for me. I will never part with them. However they look great in red. Weirdly there is a difference in hue for each of them. Alan Arnold is my guy for doing the pickguards and they have been beautifully done - much better than plastic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dnr666 View Post
    Alan Arnold is my guy for doing the pickguards and they have been beautifully done - much better than plastic.
    Splain? They aren't normal pick guard material?

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

They wood!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    They wood!
    Oooohhhhh yah, didn't see that. Interesting.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Splain? They aren't normal pick guard material?

Glenn |B)
    I got my Luthier Alan to make plywood pickguard with either a birds eye maple or Tiger stripe maple laminate top. The birds eye were stained yellow and the tiger stripe red. I was actually getting quite frustrated because I could not find any ready made pick guards that I liked. Certainly not cut to suit the pickups I had in mind. Alan said that it would be easier to make them. I think they give the guitars a boutique appearance and the pickup combinations give the kind of sounds you might have to pay a lot for from some of those hi-end brands. Plus I almost feel that they are my own signature guitars

Theses guitars have seen action and could be described as real life relics. Used and abused you might say.