Ready to Roar

Thread: Recent RS necks compared to the necks from their first run

User Info Menu

Recent RS necks compared to the necks from their first run

Stopped off at GC the other day and checked out the Musicmans. I was surprised to see that every RS neck was not nearly as figured and flamed as the neck from my first run cutlass RS. Anyone else noticed this on the new ones? They seem much less luxurious .

User Info Menu

Mine is quite plain too, but ya know they sound and feel the same - awesome!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

It's usually the luck of the draw with the EBMM necks. I have a couple that are very plain jane and then I have a couple that the birds eye is out of this world on. They weren't planned it just ended up that way. Love em all.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Mine was a bit lighter and less figured than I expect but a the right angles it still looks very cool. With more makers using Roasted, I'm sure there's less of the good stuff available.

User Info Menu

All time classics...

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

Just got a cutlass RS a couple months ago and it has the most roasted neck of all my MM’s.
    -Spike
    @blueavngr

2017 Valentine- Starry Night
    2015 JP15 Blueberry (63/300)

2019 Cutlass SSS Vintage Sunburst

"I don't sell my guitars-- they are like ex-girlfriends. You get tired with them and toss them to the side... but then, every once in a while… Damn! You really want to play with them again."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QuietSpike View Post
    Just got a cutlass RS a couple months ago and it has the most roasted neck of all my MM’s.
    I suppose it's the luck of the draw then. I was selfishly hoping that the figuring on mine would render it more valuable down the line.

I suppose it matters little, as I would never sell it anyways.

User Info Menu

I noticed the exact same thing; insane flame on the early RS run, much more restrained now on average.

I bought mine simply because of the neck figure; already had a plain maple Cutlass before that.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I got a very early Valentine... June 2016... and mine isn't very flame-y at all. It's amazing... just nothing fancy to look at... which is just fine with me. So I guess it is just hit and miss. I've also seen some recent purchases in the forum that are really beautiful. So if the figuring is important....just keep an eye out for the pretty ones.