Mega Primo Mammoth
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which one is the best superstrat-style guitar? (Music Man Hamer, Suhr, PRS)

User Info Menu

I agree with everything you said to a certain degree. New guitars can have improved ergonomics and fix bad vintage designs.

The cutlass has a better tremolo than most strats, doesnt hum, the volume pot is farther away from the bridge.

Soundswise it is minuscule difference. Guitar sound inovation peaked in the 90s as far as im concerned.

I still want a different color guitar though

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Thanks for that.It has reinforced my belief that
    As the years roll on and new guitar models appear annually I have come to the conclusions that
    1.The only thing that matters is the playability
    2.The colour..Men fall in love/lust with their eyes.
    3.A cheap guitar doesn't mean it's a bad guitar it just needs set up.
    4.The Far East guitars are incredibly good value for money and give the big names a run for their money.
    5.Brand loyalty is a waste of time.
    6.String brand has absolutely no bearing on sound produced.
    7.Spending large amounts of cash on a big brand name guitar will not make you a better player.
    8.A cheap guitar properly set up and a really good amp will sound better than a really expensive guitar and a cheap amp.
    9.All humbuckers and single coils regardless of brand all sound the same when using distortion/overdrive.
    10.Your audience don't give a flying f*** what your playing they're only interested in the music.
    11. I have wasted thousands of GBP over the last 50 years and I still sound as though I am wearing woolen mittens playing on any guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by belensky View Post
    does Premium cut like your EBMM or J Custom? I mean let's say you playing gig, which guitar work's the best and sounds right EBMM, J-Custom, or Premium.

which guitar is easiest to record? meaning there is less EQ tweaks need to be done to make guitar sound right?

with which guitar you tend to tweak amp knobs more often? EBMM, J-Custom, Premium

does that premium sustains as good as EBMM?

does that premium has some particular voice of it's own?

which guitar you tend to grab most of the time for practising, noodling or songwriting EBMM, J-Custom, Premium.

did that premium inspires you as much as EBMM or J-Custom? did you start to play more after you purchase premium?

which guitar would you sell last? EBMM, J-Custom or Premium?

which one build by craftsman who cares about their art and probably play guitar himself, and which one build by assembly line type of worker who there 8AM to 5PM

which guitar would you like to keep as family treasure, pass to your kids etc?

I'm not trying to sound as some kind of snob or elitist, my whole point is that I would rather be patient, wait, save up a bit more money and buy something that I'm really dreaming about instead of something that I would sell after anyway because it isn't truly what I want.

I saw many guys with asian guitars, and it's very common that they trying to persuade themselves and people around that that their LTD, Ibanez Premium Sterling, etc, as good as EBMM, Suhr, Hamer, Gibson Custom Etc. same thing with Kemper, Axe FX or helix guys, they always looking for perfect patch constantly tweaking presets, to make it sound closer to real amp. what is the point of playing this Stockholm syndrome game?

I played in band with guy who was far better player than me, but he went cheap about his equipment and he constantly had troubles with sound on stage, he didn't cut through or he was way to loud, band didn't sound right, etc.
    I newer had any troubles like that. I always heard myself, no matter what, why? I didn't went cheap as far as guitar, cables, amp, tubes, cabinet, speakers, mic placement goes.
    Every little thing matter and in the end of the day it's not that expensive if you think about it in long term perspective.

P.S I personally find it funny, Premium is a mid-priced line of guitars, but for some reason they call it premium? what so premium about them?
    No worries about giving the impression of an elitist, I can totally understand your view point!! =D

Questions 1-3 are a matter of pickups. The DiMarzio pickups installed in the Premium are amazing. There is nothing to envy from the other guitars. If you don't like the pickup, you swap the pickup!! =P

Questions 4 and 5: Absolutely yes.

Question 6: All of them really. I use sever different tunings so each one is pretty much special.

Question 7: The EBMMs inspire me more in terms of aesthetics. However, this has nothing to do with composition. If you are an inspired composer you simply have the need to write music. The instrument itself comes second.

Question 8 and 10: It goes without saying the expensive instruments.

Question 9: All workers work like that. It's not Petrucci himself that builds the instrument. Workers at the EBMM factory are still working class men, same as the people in the Ibanez factory in Indonesia. These things are a matter of quality control and I can tell you for a fact that I have received EBMM guitars with minor to severe defects. When it comes to obsessive compulsive attention to detail and perfectionism, my money is on the Japanese folks anytime, any day!! =D

Bottom line, I completely understand your arguments and I strongly agree. The only disagreement is as far as the Ibanez Premium line is concerned. But there's no harm done in people disagreeing every now and then =)

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

I'm glad we have understating it's so rare online nowadays.

User Info Menu

I'm glad we have understating it's so rare online nowadays.
    You can say that again!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

To the point re: playability being the only thing that matters...

I donít currently own any MMs (perhaps again in the future), but I have an OLP MM4 (Silhouette Special licensed copy) that I thoroughly enjoy 10x more than my R9....seriously.
    The R9 is a chore to play and is clunky. The only thing it gives me is,Ē that tone.Ē
    But, with some aftermarket Japan ceramic single coils and a JB in the bridge of that OLP, not only does it feel sooo much better to play (allows my playing and creativity to flow), it also sounds better (to me) than the 2010 stock burstbucker pickups.

But itís the playability that keeps drawing me back to play it vs. the R9.

User Info Menu

My favorite super strat is my HM Strat. Checks all of the boxes for me. My favorite guitar (obvious from my tag line) is the EBMM Axis.

I only really have one rule. If I like it, I play it. On one end, I've got a Squier HM I paid $179 for at a pawn shop in the early '90s, and on the other, I have a BFR Axis. Both get played regularly (the BFR daily and the Squier at least weekly), and my regular players fall at all price points between.

Feel is king for me, though. I'll never be a great, or even good, guitar player, so I play what's comfortable and sounds good to me. No other guitar I've ever tried is more comfortable than pretty much any of the EBMM models I've played. That's why I keep buying them.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

I for one get tired of the heavily overdriven sound that many players use these days. I have been rethinking my whole idea about what makes a good sound. To this end I have gravitated to less powerful pickups. I now use PAF type humbuckers and an overdrive that I can easily control with the volume control on the guitar. I do like to hear how the guitar sounds.But then I like the kind of sound that players like Robben Ford, Larry Carlton and Jon Herington use. Hence my love for my modified Silhouette with House of Tone PAFs. I was interested that the video had no clean sounds. Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that brute force is the antithesis of musicality.

User Info Menu

there is clean parts, and timecodes, so you can go to needed part of video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darchirnoj View Post
    To the point re: playability being the only thing that matters...

I don’t currently own any MMs (perhaps again in the future), but I have an OLP MM4 (Silhouette Special licensed copy) that I thoroughly enjoy 10x more than my R9....seriously.
    I don't get this thing with playability... either I like how guitar sounds or I don't, if guitar sounds dead, none super easy high fret access, or other ergonomic features or fancy pickups will convince me otherwise. I have R9 and its hard to me imagine that somebody would prefer OLP, Sterling and other asian guitars over good LP

User Info Menu

I have R9 and its hard to me imagine that somebody would prefer OLP, Sterling and other asian guitars over good LP
    You don't have to imagine: a person's preference is just that. It's not yours to question.

While I love some of the quality tones a LP can produce, it doesn't work for me. I've tried my best to like them and it is just a completely uncomfortable experience for me. It is what it is.
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170
    Headrush FRFR-112

User Info Menu

I once owned a Les Paul Premium +++. Top of the line. Expeeeensive. Best top ever. Better looking than my Tom Anderson. But was far from sounding as good as a black $150 Epiphone studio I borrowed. Frustrating.
    Concerning payability being the only thing that matters, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree. Give me the easiest, best sounding, lightest, cheapest , most solid, most versatile axe on the planet... If I find this guitar ugly, I won't play with it. Stupid? I know.

Good thing with musicman is we do not have to chose between looks, sound, finish, playability... It's all there!
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold