BFR October 2019

Thread: Does an Axis like this Exist?

User Info Menu

Does an Axis like this Exist?

Howdy EBMM Forum-

Im looking for a new guitar and wanted to see what I should be looking at? With the exception of a few cheapo guitars, I haven't bought anything high-end in quite a while.

I like shredder guitars, but Im not a shredder. For years I had fun with the USA and Japanese Charvel Production Models, swapping pickups and parts. I feel the current generation of Mexican made guitars are great on paper but lack that quality feel when theyre in my hands. I bought an ash charvel tele off ebay, only to return it. Such a step down in quality

So the hunt is on for something new. I think my price range is something under $2500.My main axe is an EBMM Axis. Best neck shape EVER! Id love to get the Koa BRF Axis, but its too expensive. Played it twice and its amazing! If I could improve my Axis, I'd give it 24 super jumbo SS frets, maybe change the body wood to African mahogany, and might like to add one of those JP-style floating trems with locking tuners, in place of the floyd. Does such a guitar exist in the Axis world?

If I set up an Axis w/ a vintage style trem to float, how well does it stay in tune vs a floyd rose? I picked up a Rasmus/ Suhr Guthrie Govan with a floating gotoh 510 and it stays in tune better than my floyd'd guitars. I'd love to add that setup to an Axis!

I tend to like thicker than average necks (ebmm Axis and Jackson pc1 are my faves) , body woods can be: mahogany or soft maple or a basswood body with a maple cap-, maybe a koa top like on the BFR axis, a trem - I love the floating gotoh 510. Id take it over a floyd any day. SS super jumbo frets. Id prefer 24 frets but can make do with 22.

I've played the JP guitars and liked them, but hated the thin necks. Is it possible to custom order a JP with an axis neck-shape?

What else should I be looking at? Thanks for any help you can give me.

User Info Menu

Some of the recent BFR runs had mahogany bodies, and you can occasionally find them lightly used within your price range. Those BFRs also all have SS frets, I believe. But there is no 24-fret Axis, and your trem options are Floyd or vintage. Both are very stable when it comes to tuning, but neither are set up from the factory to float. They are down-only.

About the only way you could get the Axis you're looking for is to become an EBMM artist.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Hi there, Unfortunately, we do not have a custom shop in the factory. However, have you looked into the Luke III guitar? You can find it on our website here: Luke3 | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man . It's still 22 frets but has a thicker neck similar to an Axis. The bridge is a vintage style Music Man bridge, but is set to float over the top of the guitar. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at customerexperience@ernieball.com

User Info Menu

Hey bud, I'm all about EBMM Axis!!! Great choice��. Specifically Axis Sports and Super Sports. Im not a Floyd kinda guy and almost always prefer Hardtails on my Balls...with the exception of my Silhouette Special vintage trem and you can set them to float... just not as much pitch like a Floydd can do. Also, doesn't have 24 frets as you prefer, BUT!?!??! You could get a pre-owned Silhouette(24 fret standard) with a vintage trem and you would be more than happy with that purchase!!! Can be had for $700-$1300 on Reverb/Ebay all day every day��. The Vintage Trems are FREAKIN amazingly smooth and hold tune just as good as a JP6! I own 2 Axis Sport MM90's and 1 Axis Super Sport(ALL hardtails). Now, with that being said... the Axis is my all time fav guitfiddle and I'm true to my EBMM guitars...BUT... If you didn't get down with the Silhouette w/ Vintage Trem??? Purchase an Ibanez AZ!!!!! Prestige are pricey and amazing instruments but being me...I took the more feasible route and got an Ibanez AZ242bc-det for under $900 in mint condition! They are phenomenal guitars with alot of tonal options but as much as I loved it...I needed a Vintage sunburst Axis Sport MM90 in my collection and letting the AZ go was the only option I had. I regret that decision now and will be listing the MM90 on Reverb, most likely this weekend. There's a somewhat long back story to that purchase but it just wasn't what I thought she'd be...

Good luck on that quest of yours! If you take any advice from above... BUY ON THE USED MARKET!!! Tons of deals !!! I'd only purchase new if there was a special run available...

- Nick
    *2011 Silhouette Special(Black)*sold*
    *2010 Reflex(Black&Cream)*sold*
    *2008 Silhouette(Sapphire Black)*lost*
    *2001 Axis Super Sport(Blue Pearl)
    *2000 Axis Sport MM90(Tri-Burst)*sold*
    *1991 Silhouette(Natural/T-shell PG)
    *1999 Axis Sport MM90(Platinum)*sold*
    *1986 Music Man Pre- Silhouette
    (serial#86034)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SilosRock View Post
    Hey bud, I'm all about EBMM Axis!!! Great choice��. Specifically Axis Sports and Super Sports. Im not a Floyd kinda guy and almost always prefer Hardtails on my Balls...with the exception of my Silhouette Special vintage trem and you can set them to float... just not as much pitch like a Floydd can do. Also, doesn't have 24 frets as you prefer, BUT!?!??! You could get a pre-owned Silhouette(24 fret standard) with a vintage trem and you would be more than happy with that purchase!!! Can be had for $700-$1300 on Reverb/Ebay all day every day��. The Vintage Trems are FREAKIN amazingly smooth and hold tune just as good as a JP6! I own 2 Axis Sport MM90's and 1 Axis Super Sport(ALL hardtails). Now, with that being said... the Axis is my all time fav guitfiddle and I'm true to my EBMM guitars...BUT... If you didn't get down with the Silhouette w/ Vintage Trem??? Purchase an Ibanez AZ!!!!! Prestige are pricey and amazing instruments but being me...I took the more feasible route and got an Ibanez AZ242bc-det for under $900 in mint condition! They are phenomenal guitars with alot of tonal options but as much as I loved it...I needed a Vintage sunburst Axis Sport MM90 in my collection and letting the AZ go was the only option I had. I regret that decision now and will be listing the MM90 on Reverb, most likely this weekend. There's a somewhat long back story to that purchase but it just wasn't what I thought she'd be...

Good luck on that quest of yours! If you take any advice from above... BUY ON THE USED MARKET!!! Tons of deals !!! I'd only purchase new if there was a special run available...

- Nick
    It's funny that you mention the AZ. I was up in Boston a few days ago and took a trip to Matt's music (high end guitar place on the South Shore of Boston). I demo'd a bunch of guitars- Charvel/ Suhr/ Ibanez AZ. Charvel was cool but neck was too thin, Some of the Suhr's were cool, but honestly, the Ibanez AZ's were the killer-app of the bunch. I played both the premium and prestige trims and actually perfered the premium more. That might be due to the fact that it's a basswood body. The Prestige is alder and I'm just not a huge fan- at least not in that guitar.

The AZ had a huge neck, huge stainless frets, roasted neck great overall feel. I wasn't in love with the pickups, but that's an easy fix. If Ibanez made an AZ with a basswood body and thick maple cap, I'd be all over it

My local GC also had a BFR Luke- all black, mahogany neck and body. It was sweet! V- neck was kinda neat also. So yes, I know about them and they're on my radar too.

User Info Menu

If your in West Hartford, you've gotta go visit Dubaldo Music, Pete and Nick rock!!!!!! Super guys and will take care of you like no one will.

DuBaldoMusic | Shop Musical Instruments and Equipment

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    If your in West Hartford, you've gotta go visit Dubaldo Music, Pete and Nick rock!!!!!! Super guys and will take care of you like no one will.

DuBaldoMusic | Shop Musical Instruments and Equipment

Glenn |B)
    Glenn, thanks for the plug! GroovyAdventure is a frequent flyer here and brings me some awesome guitars to work on.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    Glenn, thanks for the plug! GroovyAdventure is a frequent flyer here and brings me some awesome guitars to work on.
    Hey pete

User Info Menu

You can set the vintage trem on the Axis Super Sport to float a bit. Just might need to shim the neck.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

That's awesome! The AZ is a really well put together guitar. Beefy neck ✔ Stainless frets ✔ 24 frets indeed ✔ RG Style with great looks ✔

The pickups(SD Hyperions) being exclusive to the AZ line up def have a unique sound, especially when paired with the SS frets. No doubt in my mind that's the sound Ibanez was trying to achieve!!! Great sounding for that Neo-Jazz Fusionist (nowadays you can pair any genre you think fits the bill hahaha). Really unique voicings when using the DynaMix switch. My overall opinion shared the same findings as you did... Hyperions were lackluster and that my friend is why I play Dimarzio!!! Just so happens they come factory in my EBMM��. Always have an extra Tone Zone bridge pup laying around and that is what was going inside the Ibby, literally the weekend I listed the AZ... Prob would still be in my possession!!!

Basswood + Maple cap��??? I think you're on to something here! If only my Axis Super Sport was...wait a minute...����
    *2011 Silhouette Special(Black)*sold*
    *2010 Reflex(Black&Cream)*sold*
    *2008 Silhouette(Sapphire Black)*lost*
    *2001 Axis Super Sport(Blue Pearl)
    *2000 Axis Sport MM90(Tri-Burst)*sold*
    *1991 Silhouette(Natural/T-shell PG)
    *1999 Axis Sport MM90(Platinum)*sold*
    *1986 Music Man Pre- Silhouette
    (serial#86034)

User Info Menu

Just a friendly reminder that this is, in fact, the MM forum. Let's try and keep the discussion MM-centric. Thanks

User Info Menu

You can tweak an Axis to float the floyd, I have. PM me if you like. I have an axis that had a route done (to float the trem and it's got SS frets, but they're not jumbo). Personally the only trem I've ever gotten to be stable besides Floyds are the JPs. The JPX has jumbo SS frets but the neck on it I feel is even slightly smaller than the the JPs. I have a lot of floyd guitars and don't know of any that have exactly what you want, mostly because the necks aren't that chunky. Sounds like you're real close. Good luck!
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.