Strap on your style
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Majesty high E string bends - fret contact

User Info Menu

Majesty high E string bends - fret contact

Hi, Just wanted to check here before I write EBMM... There is an issue with the brand new Majesty. Just received it Tuesday. When the high E string is bent the tone dies quick because there is audible contact with some other fret (I think 23 or 24). This only happens with bends in the region of 12th to 23rd fret on the high E string. No other string buzzes or dies like this when bent, even with big bends.

When playing unplugged there is a distinct buzzing sound and the tone gets pinched off when bending above 1/2 step. Anyone know how to adjust this? I don't really want to do a truss rod adjustment since the neck looks nice and flat. Maybe a saddle adjustment? Or, is something off with the fret height? I've never had a guitar do this in my many, many years of playing.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a saddle adjustment is required.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

The neck shouldn't be exactly flat. You need some relief, or it's going to choke out.

The usual advice is to adjust so there's a bit of relief in the neck, and there's no buzzing on the lower frets. When that's good, you can tackle the saddles.

The saddle heights don't change over time. If you're getting buzzing, something has changed. Usually it's neck relief (truss rod). But it could be something else- bad set of strings, high fret, etc. In which case, contact customer service and get their opinion.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'll give some ever so slight tweaks to neck and saddle tonight and see if the "bend buzz" goes away.

Has anyone else ever had fret buzz only when doing a string bend? I've just never seen that before.

User Info Menu

Without seeing the guitar in person it's obviously difficult to diagnose but my rule of thumb is as follows...

If the problem is closer to the nut, think truss rod.
    if the problem is on the tiny frets (12-23) look for a saddle height issue (because truss adjustments have very little effect, if any, on the highest frets).
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mace13 View Post
    Yeah, I'll give some ever so slight tweaks to neck and saddle tonight and see if the "bend buzz" goes away.

Has anyone else ever had fret buzz only when doing a string bend? I've just never seen that before.
    Absolutely common and I believe even more evident on Fender style 7.25" or 9.5" radius necks. Flatter necks give the feeling of a faster playing neck and the smaller radius necks are said to be easier to chord on. I don't know nothin' about that but I do know that I have rad about your condition of 'fretting out' when bending in those forums. There are limits of how low you can practically take your action and every guitar has a sweet spot of relief and saddle height.
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Kandy Lime w/ Maple Neck

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that you're having an issue with your new Majesty. Have you tried changing that string? Sometimes the strings get damaged in shipping. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email at customerexperience@ernieball.com and I'll help you out.

User Info Menu

So, even though I was highly skeptical that a string change would resolve this...

After messing around more with the bends tonight I noticed the string was pinching out/buzzing even when bending on the 24th fret. I looked carefully and nothing could be contacting it after that, maybe the saddle I guess. Anyway, I changed the high E string and the full sustained bends seem to have returned!

I have no idea how shipping can damage a string. But I’m happy that the string change fixed it. I really am curious why it fixed it?

User Info Menu

I have no idea how shipping can damage a string. But I’m happy that the string change fixed it. I really am curious why it fixed it?
    I'd say it was not the shipping, but the string was botched from the start. It just happens.

Anyway, good to see the problem had an easy fix.

User Info Menu

Well, I replaced the string with a Slinky. Maybe EBMM used a different brand of strings?

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Well, I replaced the string with a Slinky. Maybe EBMM used a different brand of strings?
    Hi Mace13,
    I'm glad to see that fixed the issue. Our Majesty guitars are shipped with 10-46 Gauge RPS Slinkys.
    There are any number of ways a string can get damaged in the shipping process. We do bend test all of our guitars before they leave the factory to test for this very thing.
    If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me an email at customerexperience@ernieball.com

User Info Menu

yep, I always use 10-46 Slinkys and tune to Eb standard. Thanks for the help!

PS I did *not* do a saddle or truss rod adjustment. I really didn't want to mess with the factory set-up (set to Eb standard by EBMM). So, first thing I did was changed the string and that did the trick.

User Info Menu

Glad it worked out for you but it blows my mind why anyone would want to adhere to a factory set up regardless of an issue or not. A guitar is a personal thing and feel so you should always set it up the way you want it. Same thing applies if you have a tech at a shop do a set up. It should be what you want not the guy behind the counter and you should never leave the store until it feels right to you.
    JP6 Mystic Dream
    JP6 DD2
    JP6 BFR Walnut
    JP6 White Sparkle
    JP6 BFR Cherry Burst
    JP6 BFR Black Sparkle Custom Color
    JPX6
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Blue Dawn
    JP13 Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 Stealth White
    JP6 Gold Sparkle
    JP6 Starry Night
    JP6 Autumn Red
    Luke III Buttercream

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Glad it worked out for you but it blows my mind why anyone would want to adhere to a factory set up regardless of an issue or not. A guitar is a personal thing and feel so you should always set it up the way you want it.
    Same for me.

Just like all my guitars, I tweaked my Majesty in every possible way... saddle height, bridge height, truss rod, intonation, tremolo arm stiffness, different string gauges... until the guitar was completely set for me. Now it's unique.

User Info Menu

FYI I had the exact same symptoms happen to me last week after doing a routine setup on my JP15-7. Everything was 100% fine but then I noticed bends of +1 or more on the high E would die out like you described. It turned out to be a defective string the same as you discovered. In my case, I discovered that the brand new string (standard super slinky 9s) was defective at the ball end. Slapped on a new set and all is good.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine
    2018 JP15 BFR Eminence Purple

My Youtube Channel