Not electric until you plug it in

Thread: My #1 Has Failed on Me

User Info Menu

My #1 Has Failed on Me

I've had the LIII HSS for over a year now. It took over as my #1 go to guitar since the day I got it (usurping my Suhr). Gigged all last week and then on Saturday night, I had intermittent connection. Thought it might be my Headrush Pedalboard. Played a gig with several different bands on Sunday and then the same thing. Now first, I didn't think it was my guitar but the HR. A friend of mine quickly came in with his Deluxe Reverb and pedalboard so I plugged into that. No signal. Changed cables, no signal. Put in new battery, no signal. Plugged his guitar in and all was good. Anyone have any idea of why this guitar would do that? Bad preamp? Everything looks good inside, pristine actually. Seriously bummed about this situation.

User Info Menu

I'd check the terminals in the battery box to make sure they make contact. If you push the battery in a bit more, does it do anything? If that's the case you can pry them back a bit.

Beyond that, I would contact MM customer service quickly and get their help. Email Daniel - customerexperience@ernieball.com, or call the number in my signature.

Hopefully it's something simple.

User Info Menu

Have you changed cables recently? The output jack for the guitar also serves as a switch to turn on/off the electronics. Some 1/4 cable ends are really large, their recipe for "better connection", but this can end up bending the contacts inside. Then when you put a regular 1/4 inch plug in, it doesn't push in far enough to turn on the electronics.

With most guitars, you could just bend things back into place, but the Luke uses a sealed barrel jack, so the only option is replacement.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Battery connection has been known to be an issue from time to time with some MM axes. I had this issue and just stuffed a piece of fabric at the tail end of the battery to push it against the connection tighter and it solved the problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrickGlass View Post
    Battery connection has been known to be an issue from time to time with some MM axes. I had this issue and just stuffed a piece of fabric at the tail end of the battery to push it against the connection tighter and it solved the problem.
    Do you mind to post a picture of that?

User Info Menu

That's true. The battery boxes that everyone uses really work best with Duracell batteries and ones of a similar size. Seems really annoying that there is no length specification for 9V batteries, but they were originally designed to use those annoying press-fit connectors, not a box.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Or a small piece of foam rubber might help too if that is the problem.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Thanks I've been struggling with a similar issue with my Luke II (no 1 guitar) for 1.5 years now. Sound goes ways suddenly during a gig - whacking quickly the volume knob helps. Oddly nothing like that happened last night, so used to hit the volume knob, such as in the middle of a solo, 1-2 times each gig. I will stuff in the battery better to see if this mysterious error disappears.

User Info Menu

I use a small piece of cardboard, folded up.