Jason Richardson Seven String Cutlass

Thread: Noob question. Is the decked Cutlass trem supposed to knock when it hits the body.

User Info Menu

Noob question. Is the decked Cutlass trem supposed to knock when it hits the body.

Never had a decked trem before. When it returns to zero is it supposed to hit the body fairly hard making a tap or knock sound. Can't I just mess with the springs so that it just barely touches?

User Info Menu

You can loosen the trem claw in the back to your preference.

User Info Menu

I did a decked setup yesterday on my new SBMM Silo and followed the procedure "How do I set up my Music Man guitar with Vintage Tremolo?" from the Music Man FAQ (third from top).

It does work. And a very useful hint for me was to tighten the springs a bit further than just decking:
    5. Set the tremolo spring claw
    a. From the factory, the tremolo is set to remain flat on the body if a note is bent a full step or less.
    b. Bend the G note at the 12th fret to an A, and check if the bridge is lifting.
    c. Adjust the spring claw so the bridge begins to lift when this note is bent beyond an A.
    Of course, Gilmour style bends will need a bit more.
    SBMM Silhouette HSS
    Yes, but why is the rum gone?!

User Info Menu

If it's decked, and you let it go, it's gonna make a small noise. You can set it up to float slightly though, however then you won't be able to do bends as easily.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Emesem View Post
    Never had a decked trem before. When it returns to zero is it supposed to hit the body fairly hard making a tap or knock sound. Can't I just mess with the springs so that it just barely touches?
    Hi Emesem,
    If your bridge is decked, I don't recommend letting it go when depressed so that it slams into the top of the guitar. If you want to make the bridge float a little bit off the top of the guitar, it is possible to do so. However, it would require that you do a setup on the guitar as it will raise your action. You will probably need to add a shim under the neck, which we have available for sale. Email me at customerexperience@ernieball.com if you have any questions.