BFR October 2019

Thread: Differing Neck Profiles between RW LIII and RM LIII?

User Info Menu

Differing Neck Profiles between RW LIII and RM LIII?

Hi All,

A newb to this site, but played EBMM's for many many years - currently using a pair of LIII's and an Axis.

I have just acquired a HSS LIII with a Roasted Maple neck as a brother to my #1 Olive Gold RW necked LIII - what I have noticed is the neck profiles are different - the OG has a much chunkier neck than the newer roasted one - is this normal?

User Info Menu

The necks are cut by CNC machines, but they are all hand-sanded, which often accounts for the difference in feel. I've found necks can feel larger or smaller, though the measurements look similar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    The necks are cut by CNC machines, but they are all hand-sanded, which often accounts for the difference in feel. I've found necks can feel larger or smaller, though the measurements look similar.
    Thanks @beej

I wonder if its the frets actually, the RW feel and look a lot narrower - this LIII was a very very early one too - probably one of the 1st in the UK.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WelshLukather

EBMM LIII Olive Gold HH
    EBMM LIII Black HSS
    EBMM Axis Vintage Sunburst

Bogner Amps

User Info Menu

Frets would make a big difference, for sure.

Does it bother you? You could always sand one down a little.

User Info Menu

Could be the frets. Seemingly little things can make a noticeable difference. For example, the bound neck on my BFR feels slightly larger to me than the unbound neck on my standard Axis. I've never been able to decide if it actually is or if it's just my imagination, though.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by welshlukather View Post
    Hi All,

A newb to this site, but played EBMM's for many many years - currently using a pair of LIII's and an Axis.

I have just acquired a HSS LIII with a Roasted Maple neck as a brother to my #1 Olive Gold RW necked LIII - what I have noticed is the neck profiles are different - the OG has a much chunkier neck than the newer roasted one - is this normal?
    From the factory, there is no difference in the neck profile between the roasted maple and the rosewood necks. If someone changed the frets, aftermarket, or the frets have been filed down that would make a different in the feel of the neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    Could be the frets. Seemingly little things can make a noticeable difference. For example, the bound neck on my BFR feels slightly larger to me than the unbound neck on my standard Axis. I've never been able to decide if it actually is or if it's just my imagination, though.
    Our bound neck start as the same size in the factory, but are sanded differently to accommodate for the binding. The difference in size is very little, but there is a small difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    From the factory, there is no difference in the neck profile between the roasted maple and the rosewood necks. If someone changed the frets, aftermarket, or the frets have been filed down that would make a different in the feel of the neck.
    I bought the OG brand new - its probably just a feel thing - I love both

I was hoping you were going to say - its a very very rare piece you have there :-)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WelshLukather

EBMM LIII Olive Gold HH
    EBMM LIII Black HSS

Bogner Amps

User Info Menu

I have a 2012 olive gold rosewood neck model I purchased new and is in its original condition. I also have a 2013 L3 HSS and a 2017 L3 HH BFR. I can say my rosewood OG neck feels bigger and is less pronounced on the V shape
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeller View Post
    I have a 2012 olive gold rosewood neck model I purchased new and is in its original condition. I also have a 2013 L3 HSS and a 2017 L3 HH BFR. I can say my rosewood OG neck feels bigger and is less pronounced on the V shape
    Glad its not just me...

WelshLukather

EBMM LIII Olive Gold HH
    EBMM LIII Black HSS

Bogner Amps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by welshlukather View Post
    I bought the OG brand new - its probably just a feel thing - I love both

I was hoping you were going to say - its a very very rare piece you have there :-)
    It's probably that too...