Jason Richardson Seven String Cutlass
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic instead of screw covers on a guitar?

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Magnetic instead of screw covers on a guitar?

Hello all fellow EBMM members,

I just had an idea for a modification in regards to the cavity/pickguard covers, with the tools of sticky adhesive/superglue: durable, super strong and super thin mini neodymium magnets and mini insulation foam tape, instead of screws. The gap would only be 2mm max, which is covered by the foam itself. I was wondering if this would be safe to use.

Please see my (attached thumbnail) concept drawing.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magnetic instead of screw covers on a guitar?-20190908_215453-min-jpg  
    Last edited by MassEducation22; 09-08-2019 at 05:09 AM.
    Peace and Love! ☮️❣️

User Info Menu

Its already a thing, but only on limited production super expensive guitar so far.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mildew View Post
    Its already a thing, but only on limited production super expensive guitar so far.
    Thank you! Which model specifically?
    Peace and Love! ☮️❣️

User Info Menu

I've only seen it on custom or personal builds. They are glued into small holes in the body, and magnetic stainless steel can be inlaid into the pickguard or tremolo cover.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    I've only seen it on custom or personal builds. They are glued into small holes in the body, and magnetic stainless steel can be inlaid into the pickguard or tremolo cover.
    Ahh, I see. Thank you!
    Peace and Love! ☮️❣️

User Info Menu

Thomas Nordegg, guitar tech from Steve Vai, modified his guitars to use velcro instead of screws. Seems simpler to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vadauco View Post
    Thomas Nordegg, guitar tech from Steve Vai, modified his guitars to use velcro instead of screws. Seems simpler to me.
    Woah! Holy Cow! Can you please send the link if there is a video? Thank you!
    Peace and Love! ☮️❣️

User Info Menu

Is it worth coming up with a better system to attach a pickguard?

Screws are invasive (so are magnets if they're embedded in the wood ... velcro is removable), but they're easier to take off than the strings, which you have to remove in order to take the pickguard off. (And if it's for a pickup swap, then that's a whole hassle too - you're soldering.)

The real innovation for me would be access from the rear of the guitar so you can pull pickups with a minimum of effort, w/o having to deal with a pickguard at all (and hopefully solderless quick disconnects, too). And if you can do that, the pickguard is redundant and just there for cosmetics - in which case you'd probably prefer to show the wood underneath.

But of course, you go through that hassle and you'll want to hide the cavity on the underside of the guitar which you'd have to remove the pickups, which would require a cover of some sort.

And so you'd need a way to attach that ... hah.

User Info Menu

EBMM use to recess covers and plates, but that's extra cost to create the pocket. I personally always thought that was a nice touch being a designer and appreciating that type of level of detail. Some companies use wood insert so the hole doesn't get stripped, makes it easier to remove and replace screws. Again, added cost, but a nice touch either way.

You basically want a quick disconnect rear cover correct? Most just leave the cover off.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Is it worth coming up with a better system to attach a pickguard?

Screws are invasive (so are magnets if they're embedded in the wood ... velcro is removable), but they're easier to take off than the strings, which you have to remove in order to take the pickguard off. (And if it's for a pickup swap, then that's a whole hassle too - you're soldering.)

The real innovation for me would be access from the rear of the guitar so you can pull pickups with a minimum of effort, w/o having to deal with a pickguard at all (and hopefully solderless quick disconnects, too). And if you can do that, the pickguard is redundant and just there for cosmetics - in which case you'd probably prefer to show the wood underneath.

But of course, you go through that hassle and you'll want to hide the cavity on the underside of the guitar which you'd have to remove the pickups, which would require a cover of some sort.

And so you'd need a way to attach that ... hah.
    That is true and I completely agree with you. I think that there should be like a "pop-out" electronic, so you just push and pull to reveal the pots/electronics out. But, when it comes to the pickups. That would be a very difficult thing.
    Peace and Love! ☮️❣️

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    EBMM use to recess covers and plates, but that's extra cost to create the pocket. I personally always thought that was a nice touch being a designer and appreciating that type of level of detail. Some companies use wood insert so the hole doesn't get stripped, makes it easier to remove and replace screws. Again, added cost, but a nice touch either way.

You basically want a quick disconnect rear cover correct? Most just leave the cover off.

Glenn |B)
    Yes, I know. Even though the guitar that I bought was very expensive enough, they should have had at least the time to make the cavity flush into the wood. I think I'll stick to the Velcro technique. And plus, it won't make the inside of the guitar dirty.

I have also found a Velcro ultra thin and strong adhesive that will stick to most surfaces, so that won't become a hassle instead of those screws.
    Peace and Love! ☮️❣️

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MassEducation22 View Post
    Yes, I know. Even though the guitar that I bought was very expensive enough, they should have had at least the time to make the cavity flush into the wood. I think I'll stick to the Velcro technique. And plus, it won't make the inside of the guitar dirty.

I have also found a Velcro ultra thin and strong adhesive that will stick to most surfaces, so that won't become a hassle instead of those screws.
    That works, I use to have a friend that worked for Velcro. I'm sure his stock shares are soaring right now,

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Ahaha! Velcro is on high demand lol.
    Peace and Love! ☮️❣️

User Info Menu

Inset cavity covers are nice, but it can be hard to control the paint thickness, which makes fitting hard. Also, if you aren't careful removing them, you can sometimes scratch the paint. With the tremolo cavity especially, there isn't much clearance, as they've got to balance body thickness, routing depth on the top and the back, etc. Inletting the trem cover gives them less space to work with.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Inset cavity covers are nice, but it can be hard to control the paint thickness, which makes fitting hard. Also, if you aren't careful removing them, you can sometimes scratch the paint. With the tremolo cavity especially, there isn't much clearance, as they've got to balance body thickness, routing depth on the top and the back, etc. Inletting the trem cover gives them less space to work with.
    Ahh, I see. And I agree, sometimes the paint can become damaged from the inset cavity itself.
    Peace and Love! ☮️❣️