Not electric until you plug it in

Thread: Axis SS Ground wire question

User Info Menu

Axis SS Ground wire question

HI all I need some advice please.

I made my own covers for the back of my Axis SS. I made them out of wood so now I am wondering about the ground wire that usually goes under the stock metal cover. Would it be in my best interest to put some sort of metal, such a maybe aluminum foil, underneath my electronics cover? I can get a thin sheet of something and glue it to the bottom of the wood cover so that the wire can at least touch something metal.

I actually have been playing with different wood covers that I made and have no problems whatsoever but I just made some new ones, got to thinking about that wire, did some checking and now am questioning if I should do something metal underneath.

Necessary or No?

Thanks!
    Axis SS

User Info Menu

Doesn't the ground wire usually connect to the bridge? And aren't the stock covers plastic? Maybe I'm confused about what you're asking.

I admit that I've never had a need to open up one of my Axis models, but all of my other guitars connect the ground wire to the bridge. The ground wire does need to connect to metal, but if you had a bad ground, you'd be noticing some issues.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

The back cover on my Luke III is definitely metal.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    Doesn't the ground wire usually connect to the bridge? And aren't the stock covers plastic? Maybe I'm confused about what you're asking.

I admit that I've never had a need to open up one of my Axis models, but all of my other guitars connect the ground wire to the bridge. The ground wire does need to connect to metal, but if you had a bad ground, you'd be noticing some issues.
    Both covers are definitely metal and this particular wire (Bare silver colored one) is supposed to simply sit underneath the cover. MM even leaves a little bare spot underneath with no paint so it can connect. They say itís to complete the shielding of the cavity I believe.

Also there is another ground looking wire that connects to s little metal tip that sticks out of the wall of the cavity. That one is soldered in.
    Thanks!
    Axis SS

User Info Menu

Interesting. I guess I need to open up one of my EBMMs and look around. Clearly I'm no help at all.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

The cavities are painted with shielded paint, so the point is to have a conductive surface on all sides to block any EM fields. (Google 'Faraday cage'.) The wire carries the ground to the cover.

If you have a cover you like, you can just cover one side with copper tape to create a conductive surface. Or spray adhesive + tin foil, etc. Whatever's handy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    The cavities are painted with shielded paint, so the point is to have a conductive surface on all sides to block any EM fields. (Google 'Faraday cage'.) The wire carries the ground to the cover.

If you have a cover you like, you can just cover one side with copper tape to create a conductive surface. Or spray adhesive + tin foil, etc. Whatever's handy.
    Perfect, thank you beej!
    Axis SS

User Info Menu

No problemo