Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks

Thread: SBMM Luke HSS (?)

User Info Menu

SBMM Luke HSS (?)

I currently find myself in a situation where i'd really like to get a Luke, mainly because of the HSS Pickups. But i can't really spend 3k on a new Guitar right now.
    I know back in the OLP Days they had a Luke with HSS Pickups, but since SBMM launched they always went with HH for all iterations of the L100 Model.
    I've got one of the original OLP Petrucci's and it's... okay... so getting a used OLP Luke might be an option, even though i never played one.
    Guess i was just wondering why they went with Dual Humbuckers instead of HSS when most of their SBMM Lineup already has HH Pickups.
    What are you guys thinking? How is the playability of the SBMM Luke compared to a Luke 3?
    Haven't tried any of the Sterling Guitars yet, only the original Luke 3 when it came out.
    Music Man JP7 PDN 2012 Honey Roasted #F20403
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2013 Emerald Green Sparkle #G68213
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2014 Neptune Blue Roasted #G71474
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2016 Starry Night #G77086
    Music Man Bongo 5HH PDN 2015 Vintage Tobacco Burst #F44860

User Info Menu

I don't know how practical or economical it is to purchase guitars from USA but you could from time to time get good deals on used Luke II and III models here.

User Info Menu

I've spoke with Eddie and Sooj at length at NAMM last January about an HSS Luke... They're not opposed to it; however, there needs to be a demand for them to invest into that build. So far there's only been a few of us asking for it so until that picks up were probably left wanting.

the Lk100 and the L3 are very very very close in feel. The pickups on the LK100 are a bit on the brighter side in positions 2 & 4. they sound incredible in 1 3 5 but the split just doesn't feel right to me. I've replaced the pickups in my Lk100 to the transition pickups and it's flawless in performance. My buddy didn't realize it was a Sterling until 10-15 minutes later when he swapped to his LIII HH and was blown away...
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D