BFR October 2019

Thread: How do you think about Sterling JP60 's pickup?

User Info Menu

How do you think about Sterling JP60 's pickup?

Hi, everybody I have never had electric guitar before, I 've bought JP60 for a month and play through Roland CUBE 20GX, I decided to buy it because of product review in internet told it is good.

In my opinion, JP60 has mediocre tone, especially clean tone(I think cause of stock pickup) but I don't know other 's guitar tone to compare.

I want to know your opinion about JP60 tone.

Actually, I expect the clean and crunch tone like cilps below if I change Dimazio 's pickup, do you think it can get close the tone?

John Petrucci - Amazing Melodis - YouTube

John Petrucci - Amazing Melodis - YouTube

User Info Menu

Have you tried any other guitars through your amp so you have baseline expectation for what that amp sounds like?

Getting a Roland cube to sound just like a Mesa Boogie + pedals might not be the right expectation.

User Info Menu

My JP70 pickups are not bad at all. I planned to swap them for DiMarzios but ended up liking them enough to leave them. As dalto mentioned, it's going to be tough to get Petrucci tone out of a Cube. They're solid amps, but there's a whole lot more going into the sound you hear on those videos than just a guitar and an amp.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your new guitar!!

Comparing the Cube with a JP's setup however is quite unorthodox.

I bet that if you plugged your guitar into JP's setup there wouldn't be much of a difference.

You'll have better luck achieving a satisfying tone with software like Amplitube or Guitar Rig. Even better with an Axe FX. That is, if you don't want to pay 4000 USD for a Boogie and pedal effects (chorus, delay, reverb, etc.)

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

You could also try to invest in a new or used Mesa Boogie Flux-drive gain pedal. Or get a MB Mark 25 with an MB cab if you want to get close to the Petrucci sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    Congratulations on your new guitar!!

Comparing the Cube with a JP's setup however is quite unorthodox.

I bet that if you plugged your guitar into JP's setup there wouldn't be much of a difference.

You'll have better luck achieving a satisfying tone with software like Amplitube or Guitar Rig. Even better with an Axe FX. That is, if you don't want to pay 4000 USD for a Boogie and pedal effects (chorus, delay, reverb, etc.)
    Man, like you said, I played through HD500x with yamaha monitor HS5 it similar to youtube's link I posted. Thank you everybody that answer to me.