Jason Richardson Seven String Cutlass

Thread: LUKE Bridge setup

User Info Menu

LUKE Bridge setup

Hello everybody!
    I bought my Luke II last february. I began using it by following the bridge setup indicated on the EB website,so that it was floating and able to go, on the G string, from G up to Bb.
    After a check by a local luthier I've been told that a lot of other Luke players usually set their trem way lower than mine. I decided to give it a go and followed his advices so I lowered the bridge to the point where it can now from G to A. I noticed a nice improvement in terms of playability so I decided to leave it that way but I'd like to know how you have settled yours.
    Many thanks!

User Info Menu

I've always had mine set to the recommended 1 1/2 step and have always found the playability excellent. Just curious, how would you say lowering the bridge angle improved it?

User Info Menu

I have mine to just about 1 1/2 steps but I had to replace the saddle height screws to smaller ones so I could set the action where I wanted it without the stock ones poking out
    JP6 Mystic Dream
    JP6 DD2
    JP6 BFR Walnut
    JP6 White Sparkle
    JP6 BFR Cherry Burst
    JP6 BFR Black Sparkle Custom Color
    JPX6
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Blue Dawn
    JP13 Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 Stealth White
    JP6 Gold Sparkle
    JP6 Starry Night
    JP6 Autumn Red
    Luke III Buttercream

User Info Menu

I have the bridge decked on my L3. There were certain notes that would cause a sympathetic resonance in the trem springs that I found unpleasant, and I'm not much of a trem user at all, so I prefer it that way. But I kept it at the 1-1/2 step setup that it leaves the factory with prior to that.
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

I have mine floating, but only a little bit, so I can get a real vibrato with it. I don't do lots of up pulls or other whammy things, so I don't need it floating any higher than that. I think I get a bit more than a half step of up bend on the G.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
    I've always had mine set to the recommended 1 1/2 step and have always found the playability excellent. Just curious, how would you say lowering the bridge angle improved it?

I mean, because assumed that you're leaving the action like it is, by lowering the bridge angle you make the action a bit lower

User Info Menu

I have my L3 set to float about 1 full tone on the G string. On my L2 even less than that, more like half a tone. I think it helps with playability and also I sometimes struggle with tones being out of tune while bending (that's unavoidable with any floating trem). Luke is a master of this, his muting of strings is flawless.
    I find the factory setup creates too steep angle from the bridge but that's just my preference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dariothery View Post
    I mean, because assumed that you're leaving the action like it is, by lowering the bridge angle you make the action a bit lower
    Gotcha, I can see that. I don't know that I set my action super low, usually around 1.6 mm on the treble side. I find lower than that the tone is a little to snappy. Maybe its in my head, who knows.

User Info Menu

I keep my L3's set so I can pull up the G to an A. Works fine that way for what I do, and is very stable.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook