The Vault

Thread: Dream Theater`s Live at Budokan model of JP7?

User Info Menu

Arrow Dream Theater`s Live at Budokan model of JP7?

Hi can anyone tell me what exactly JP7 model Petrucci used in Budokan Live and Train of thoughts period?

I`m also curious to find time what pickups were there too.

Kind regards,
    Dado.

User Info Menu

What colour you mean?

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

No,I`m very interested in series model,since it has different headstock then mine old JP7 from 2007(non piezzo) and certainly different pickups since both look the same so its obvious there he didnt use no D-Sonic,nor Crunch Lab.

User Info Menu

The JP6 and JP7 can be ordered with or without piezo.

The headstock is the same.

The pickups are the very first ones they used to install, before the D-Sonic period. I believe they continued with the Steve's Special/Air Norton set from JP's Ibanez era, until the D-Sonic replaced the bridge pickup. After that came the CrunchLab/Liquifire etc.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

The pickups were modified Steve's Special/Air Nortons that couldn't be bought from DiMarzio directly.

Also, the colour on the Live at Budokan DVD was called Gunsmoke. They definitely didn't make many in that colour. I've only ever seen one other one in someone else's private collection.
    2003 Petrucci 7 - White
    2005 Petrucci 7 - Radiance Red
    2006 Petrucci 6 - Desert Gold
    2007 Petrucci 7 - Dargie Delight
    2014 JP13 6 - Cardinal Red Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73h Nils View Post
    The pickups were modified Steve's Special/Air Nortons that couldn't be bought from DiMarzio directly.

Also, the colour on the Live at Budokan DVD was called Gunsmoke. They definitely didn't make many in that colour. I've only ever seen one other one in someone else's private collection.
    Ok, thanks for an explanation.

Do you know maybe what would be the closest sounding pickups that DiMazrios offers knwo to those original pickups?
    Are Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker maybe in that ballpark or some other?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dado Simic View Post
    Ok, thanks for an explanation.

Do you know maybe what would be the closest sounding pickups that DiMazrios offers knwo to those original pickups?
    Are Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker maybe in that ballpark or some other?
    As others have mentioned, the Steve's Special & Air Norton are the closest pickups to the original JP6/JP7 pickups. Theose are my favorite pickups in the JP6.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    The JP6 and JP7 can be ordered with or without piezo.

The headstock is the same.

The pickups are the very first ones they used to install, before the D-Sonic period. I believe they continued with the Steve's Special/Air Norton set from JP's Ibanez era, until the D-Sonic replaced the bridge pickup. After that came the CrunchLab/Liquifire etc.

Just to clarify, the piezo was optional from 2001-2016ish and is currently a standard feature on the JP6 and JP7 (meaning if you order a JP6 or JP7 it will only come with the piezo, there is no longer a non-piezo option).
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    As others have mentioned, the Steve's Special & Air Norton are the closest pickups to the original JP6/JP7 pickups. Theose are my favorite pickups in the JP6.

Just to clarify, the piezo was optional from 2001-2016ish and is currently a standard feature on the JP6 and JP7 (meaning if you order a JP6 or JP7 it will only come with the piezo, there is no longer a non-piezo option).
    Hm,there is no Steve's Special bridge for 7 string sadly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dado Simic View Post
    Hm,there is no Steve's Special bridge for 7 string sadly.
    From what I understand the Steve's Special was a Blaze 7 string pickup turned into a 6 string version. The Blaze 7string will be very close if there is no 7string Steve's Special.

Blaze 7.5 bass, 4.5 mid, 6.0 treble, output 380
    Steve's Special 7.5 bass, 4.5 mid, 6.5 treble, output 390
    Last edited by PeteDuBaldo; 09-30-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Thanks for repply. I didnt know that as well.
    Blaze pickup is great but I`m not sure it would be good fit to JP7 since its not that tight in low end.