The Vault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me turn one of these into my metal guitar: 2014 Albert Lee HH or 2011 Reflex

User Info Menu

Help me turn one of these into my metal guitar: 2014 Albert Lee HH or 2011 Reflex

Hi folks

Short version: I need to block the trem (completely) with one of these guitar so I can at least do Drop D quick and fast! Which one?

You guys are also the pick up experts - which one in your opinion is more suitable for heavier genres?

I would appreciate your input!

And the longer version: No more Les Paul ... Hurts even an amateur to be cut off from history of guitar greatness...

But...

I have arrived here, ladies and gentlemen: All MusicMan sunburst line up!

I have a fever, and the only cure is more sunburst!...

The discontinued 'Reflex' is sitting on the throne, but don't let that fool you, it is only because it is the latest addition to the family. The HH Albert Lee rules this family!

I said good-bye to a good friend (on the left) - my first North American made guitar, my only Gibson... 2014 Les Paul Studio Pro with upgraded locking Grover tuners:

Oh yeah, I had to let go of the Schecter Keith Merrow mk-II 7 string too (in the middle). Though that was more of transactional thing than emotional, if you know what I mean... Not the Albert Lee HH of course... That thing will always remain my no:1! I love it to pieces...

So no more Gibson Les Paul. The guitar is gone, but memories and my sweet nothing metal songs (amateur here !) will stay - with the 2014 Studio Pro:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-234938607/hair-metal-v2

and here is a heavier one !
    https://soundcloud.com/user-234938607/slope-to-metal-ii

I have been using the Albert Lee HH for a few years now, and I am much more familiar with what it can and cannot do. But I just got the Reflex after trading in my 2 metal guitars, and I am just beginning to discover its character. Of course, I will obsess for hours and do my A/B tests by recording myself.

But what do you think? Does anyone use the Reflex here for heavier genres?

Cheers !
    Last edited by Junta; 10-01-2019 at 07:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Seems to me if you just deck the bridge hard on the AL HH, it will do quite heavy easily.
    Check this out...
    Writing Riffs & Talking Influences With Brian Ball At Music Man - YouTube

But maybe you're looking for something different...????
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for that link! So that’s the son! Cool - he sure made that Lee sound good.

But that Armada! It is physically a bit big for what I am used to... but man is it ever a great guitar!

So you are recommending the AL... ok, cheers!

User Info Menu

Technically speaking, I'd say the Reflex/Axis pickups are hot PAF styled. You could play anything on them, but a purist wouldn't call them metal pickups, which are almost twice as hot. I'd suggest getting a set suited for it. But please, don't put them in the Reflex. It's awesome as it is. And they're hard to find these days.
    Last edited by KDude; 10-01-2019 at 09:26 PM.

User Info Menu

OK, so the sunburst is hard to find you say..! I was happy with my score, because it was new, and at a major discount... Me likes! Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Junta View Post
    OK, so the sunburst is hard to find you say..! I was happy with my score, because it was new, and at a major discount... Me likes! Cheers!
    Yeah, I just got a black one myself.. but Gold and Sunburst are nowhere to be found. Not that I'm complaining, but I might've gotten one of those first.

User Info Menu

I always used my Albert HH for heavier styles. My go-to pickups for this guitar is the Bareknuckle Rebel Yell, which add bite and power to the guitar. The stock pickups, or at least the older DiMarzio ones (in-case these have changed) were also fantastic mind you, and yes, even for heavier genres. But the BK just add more of everything and keep the general character of the guitar.

User Info Menu

Junta, if you ever decide to swap pickups on one those two guitars, sell me the ones you're taking out :-)

I play heavier music with my guitars, all of them have that DImarzio custom Axis pickup on the bridge and it just rips.
    2001 Axis Sport HH hardtail maple fretboard burnt apple
    2001 Axis SuperSport HH hardtail maple fretboard translucent gold
    1997 Axis Sport HSS hardtail maple fretboard translucent red
    2002 AL MM90 hardtail maple fretboard honeyburst converted to AL 2H

User Info Menu

Sell the original PUs? I know better than that!

Cheers!

User Info Menu

I could be wrong, but I believe Rebel Yells are even less hot than the Dimarzios (similar though).

I don't think you're going to improve upon the Dimarzios without going in the 20k+ range and/or active. But then, it's just going to be niche and sound like poop on anything but metal And niche guitars suck (imho). Best to have versatile and get in the ballpark.

User Info Menu

I agree with you, I might stay with the stock DiMarzios and just fully dock the trem.

User Info Menu

That's the other reason I'd recommend the AL... not only is it capable, but I sure wouldn't want to mod that Reflex at all...
    I've modded just about every one on my AL's to some extent, and I have a few...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

That reflex is sweet! Don't both the reflex HH and AL HH have the Axis pickups?
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

I believe you are correct. They have the same pickups.

User Info Menu

Yes, same pups in both.
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170
    Headrush FRFR-112