The Vault

Thread: Majesty 7 tuners upgrade?

User Info Menu

Majesty 7 tuners upgrade?

Hi everyone,
    I have a Majesty 7 out of warranty and I'm growing pretty tired of the stock tuners. One is broken and wiggles so much it's really hard to tune that 5th string. Both 1st and 2nd string tuners keep breaking strings because they developed grooves in them in just 2 years of not-so-frequent playing. Plus, the turn ratio is far from optimal.
    I'm looking to upgrade these but I'm not sure about my options as there aren't many 5x2 sets out there and I don't want to make any extra holes in the headstock.
    Has anybody done this to their Majesty 7? Could you guys tell me what my options are and which is the absolute BEST? I haven't really used locking tuners before and I I'm pretty disappointed with Schallers.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by ArtKun; 10-12-2019 at 02:02 PM.

User Info Menu

That's rather strange to hear. The tuners on the Majesty are Schaller locking tuners, and should be 16:1 ratio. They shouldn't have any tuning issues.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I'm as surprised as you, but it's near impossible to tune the 7th string to A and I'm not using a thin gauge either. The 5th string tuner was broken, it seems, from the factory and the guy I bought the guitar from never bothered to send it for a warranty replacement. The G, B and A strings just keep breaking because the holes are all destroyed and oxidized on both sides. It's simply low quality metal, not something I would expect from Schaller. I've used Gotoh tuners for decades on tens of different guitars and never even once had a single complaint.

User Info Menu

You can buy replacement tuners from Music Man customer service or a MM dealer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlbasscatcher View Post
    You can buy replacement tuners from Music Man customer service or a MM dealer.
    I'd recommend the same, give CS a call and they'll help you out. Still it's weird to hear you had those problems with the Schallers they've been nothing but great to me on all the JP's I've owned or played.

JP6 Pearl Red.
    JP6 BFR Bahama Blue.
    "Music Man guitars = the world's best."

User Info Menu

I've never had any Issue with the Schaller Tuners on any of my Instruments, EBMM and non EBMM.
    I'd replace them with the original Schaller Parts, but if you still want something else, Hipshot makes some good Locking Tuners too. And they should fit the existing Holes.
    Can't remember where, but I bought the Hipshot 4+2 Sets Online somewhere, and you can just get one extra Tuner.
    Music Man JP7 PDN 2012 Honey Roasted #F20403
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2013 Emerald Green Sparkle #G68213
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2014 Neptune Blue Roasted #G71474
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2016 Starry Night #G77086
    Music Man Bongo 5HH PDN 2015 Vintage Tobacco Burst #F44860

User Info Menu

I put gotoh locking 510 18:1 on my Cutlass. It’s definitely better then the Schaller. Go that route - you won’t regret it
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS HSS - Firemist Silver
    Cutlass Hunter Hayes - Lake Tahoe Blue
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green